AnsweredAssumed Answered

Viewshed Analysis query

Question asked by dcn23 on Feb 27, 2013
Latest reply on May 30, 2013 by coloncm
Hi all,

Im asking what seems to be a pretty basic question. Ive made a script that iterates through a large number of point features (>1000) and runs a viewshed. It then clips the "visible" areas to different land types so I can calculate the area of different visible land types for each observer point. I have a fairly crude script that works but as you might imagine it is very slow.

Looking through ArcGIS help etc I keep coming across RADIUS 1 and RADIUS 2 the second of which would speed up analysis. See here http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//009z000000v8000000.htm

Radius 2 sounds like its what I want as it will restrict the viewshed output to a reasonable size.  Below is the line of code running the viewshed. How do I define this Radius 2 value? I want it to run so that the viewshed will only be calculated for the area within 5km of each observer point.

outViewshed = Viewshed("inRaster", "observor_point", zFactor, useEarthCurvature, refractivityCoefficient)

I have access to ArcGIS 10 and 10.1 and a moderate understanding of arcpy. (will only use 10.1 if there is a great feature in it that will speed up this process)

Any help most appreciated

Cheers!

Dan

Outcomes