brianarc8

PostgreSQL client (ArcGIS 10.1 SP1) "failed to load"

Discussion created by brianarc8 on Feb 18, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 by brianarc8
Hello,

I'm having trouble connecting to my PostgreSQL 9.0.5 database (Win7 64bit) from my ArcGIS Server 10.1 (sp1 64bit) machine using ArcCatalog 10.1 (SP1).

While attempting to run "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" i receive the following error:

"Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly. Failed to execute."

So, I've double-checked the archives and confirmed that i have copied the 64bit versions of the .dll's into my 'client BIN directories' which includes "Server\bin" and I also copied the st.geometry.dll into the \lib folder on my PostgreSQL machine.

*other than confirming that I've copied these files into the proper directory and that I'm using the .dll's provided by ESRI within their
PostgreSQL Client install bundle, I'm not sure what to try / test next to trouble-shoot this issue.

I have also configured my PostgreSQL install to accept remote connections from my ArcGIS Server machine. I did notice that within the ESRI provided 'read-me file' for the PostgreSQL 9.0.5 Client install, that there are only 4 .dll's specifed to copy within
the 64-bit PostgreSQL 9.0.5 Client Libraries BUT there are 5 .dll's listed within the 32-bit client libraries... Is that a problem?

I've copied these libraries twice just to double-check that i've copied the correct version (64-bit) and I've rebooted both machines and restarted the applications and services but no change..

I have not installed ArcSDE 10.1 (sp1) on the database machine/server. I didn't think it was necessary.

any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
thanks much in advance,

brian

Outcomes