Creating a web map

02-11-2013 10:23 PM
SaedMadanat
New Contributor
Hello,
I have an MXD on my computer .. some of those layers have more than 1000 feature... how can I upload this map with all its layers on ArcGIS Online and be able to open this map using the online viewer?

I tried uploading the map, but when I want to open it I have one option only, it's to open it using ArcGIS for desktop.. but I need to be able to open it using the online viewer
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Having a same problem too, need to publish a map with 300,000+ features in it... 😞
0 Kudos
SaedMadanat
New Contributor
I did it before and it worked but can't remember how 😞
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
I dont think you were ever able to upload an MXD and then open it up in ArcGIS online. The only thing you can upload and show on a ArcGIS online map are shapefiles with less than 1000 features.

The only way is to host a Map service (mxd and layers) from your ArcServer and then you can import it to a ArcGIS online map. I dont know if there is a 1000 feature limit though.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If you want to display data in ArcGIS Online...

• With a public account (non subscription), you can add approximately 1000 features total from shapefiles or CSVs to a web map.

• If you have your own ArcGIS Server, you can reference your services as items and add them to web maps.

• If you purchase a subscription to ArcGIS Online, you can then host your data in ArcGIS Online, by publishing your map from ArcGIS Desktop or uploading shapefiles and CSVs to your My Content and creating web services from them.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
SaedMadanat
New Contributor
Thank you for replying
timw1984 actually I was able to open my MXD using the online viewer... but now I forgot how I did it

mikem I have a subscription.. all I need know is the steps to open an MXD using the online viewer not my desktop ArcGIS...
0 Kudos
SaedMadanat
New Contributor
Thank you, this helped.. I didn't know I needed 10.1 only to do it
another quick related question... can I publish a layer located in the SDE and be able to edit on the SDE from the field?
0 Kudos
CoryCampbell1
New Contributor III
If you want to display data in ArcGIS Online...

• With a public account (non subscription), you can add approximately 1000 features total from shapefiles or CSVs to a web map.

• If you have your own ArcGIS Server, you can reference your services as items and add them to web maps.

• If you purchase a subscription to ArcGIS Online, you can then host your data in ArcGIS Online, by publishing your map from ArcGIS Desktop or uploading shapefiles and CSVs to your My Content and creating web services from them.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Can you please confirm for us that if we do have a paid ArcGIS Online subscription (up to 50 users and 10K credits) we should not be limited to 1000 features for uploaded files? I cant find any definitive information on this.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Cory,

If you publish a hosted feature service from your data, you are not limited as to how many features you can store. However, there are still drawing limitations for clients displaying the data. See if this helps...

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62176-Who-can-make-this-ESRI-S-reply-simple-and-easy-to-understand

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos