Java Web Adaptor - webadaptor.config?

12-04-2012 04:35 PM
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Ive deployed the Java web adaptor on Tomcat 7. Its working fine.

Now under IIS (..\intepub\wwwroot\webadaptor) there is a webadaptor.config file which contains some details such as the nodes, shared key etc.

For Java the webadaptor.config file is where I???d expect (ie ..\Tomcat\webapps\webadaptor\web-inf\classes) except its basically empty. None of the settings I???d expect to be filled out are populated.

Where are the settings stored?

They must be stored somewhere as they survive service restarts?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Has no one used the Java web adaptor?
0 Kudos
AnastasiaAourik
New Contributor II
This reminds me of the old ArcIMS days. 
I betcha the webadapter is simply an ISAPI filter to IIS.

I prefer NOT to use this.
I doesn't provide much for you since the internal Tomcat web server is pretty stable.
I just use the default 6080 port and make sure it is open on your server.

Perhaps some ESRI person may want to detail why anyone would benefit from the
web adapter?  That may help folks determine the best deployment architecture.

cheers,aa
0 Kudos
TimothyHibbard
New Contributor II
Hello,

@tchart:

The Java webadaptor.config file should be located in your tomcat installation directory and then the following:

...\webapps\arcgis\WEB-INF\classes\

If not, please let me know.

Thanks
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Hello,

@tchart:

The Java webadaptor.config file should be located in your tomcat installation directory and then the following:

...\webapps\arcgis\WEB-INF\classes\

Thanks

The problem is the file is there but doesn't reflect the changes Ive made through the UI. Most of the entries are null/blank.
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Out of interest I get similar results using GlassFish. The web adaptor config is mostly empty
0 Kudos
JasonNewmoyer
New Contributor II
Same problem with JBoss 5.1. I register the server and then it works for the current session. I guess the settings are in memory. When I restart the web server or redeploy the web adapter it forgets everything. Gives me "Status: No GIS servers are registered with your Web Adaptor." when browsing to /webadapter. I've tried deploying as exploded war as well. Searched the server directory and found a webadaptor.config file in /tmp/<hash> folder but even it has blank values for everything.
0 Kudos
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
It sounds like we had the same problem. We have ArcGIS Server 10.1 on Linux. We installed the Web Adaptor on it's own VM. Every time that tomcat was restarted, the Web Adaptor configuration settings disappeared, and therefore the AGS was not accessible through the web server until we manually went in and reset everything. We ended up getting rid of the Web Adaptor in favor of having Apache handle routing. For us, the Web Adaptor was just an added point of failure.
0 Kudos
dkav
by
Occasional Contributor
For ArcGIS Server 10.2 on Red Hat, I found the webadaptor.config in the following folder -
/opt/tomcat/.webadaptor/arcgis/webadaptor.config

The folder /opt/tomcat is the home folder for the tomcat user, under which the tomcat service runs.

For context, my Tomcat ArcGIS classes folder is found here -
/opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.42/webapps/arcgis/WEB-INF/classes

A simple find located the file - find / -name webadaptor.config
0 Kudos
dkav
by
Occasional Contributor
For ArcGIS Server 10.2 on Red Hat, I found the webadaptor.config in the following folder -
/opt/tomcat/.webadaptor/arcgis/webadaptor.config
0 Kudos