AnsweredAssumed Answered

Keyboard navigation in the map seems to require use of a Mouse

Question asked by myESRIUName on Nov 9, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 by geos_rfleet
Hello all,

My particular interest in the keyboard navigation functionality is related to providing WCAG 2.0 Accessibility requirements (where all functionality must be operable through a keyboard) in my applications.

I've noticed that on the  http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/SampleWorldCities/MapServer?f=jsapi page, handling of the '+', '-' and arrow keys is only effected when the mouse hovers over the map object itself. As long as the mouse cursor is over the map, those keys properly trigger their respective events; but, if you move your mouse cursor (not click, just move it) up into the title section, for example, those key events are no longer trapped.

So, as keyboard accessibility requires that I not depend on the use of a mouse for functionality, I am wondering if there is some way to more fully provide keyboard navigation to the map object. That is, I cannot find a way to tab to the map and have it activate and respond to the keyboard navigation listeners.

Can anyone suggest how this might be accomplished? While I can't assume a mouse, I can't assume it will not exist either and it appears as though a mouseout event turns off all listeners to the map. Can I get around this somehow?

Cheers,
jtm

Outcomes