Printing Feature or Tiled vector layer in IE9

10-17-2012 12:07 PM
AnnaLambrechtsen
New Contributor
i've got an ArcGIS online map with a standard base map and a simple point layer added twice, once as a tiled layer and once as a feature service.

i then open the map in the out of the box arcgis online map viewer and click on the print button.

in Firefox & Chrome the added layer (whether it's the tiled or the feature service one) prints fine, when i print in IE9 neither the tiled nor the feature service layer shows up, only the base map.

this is the webmap i'm talking about although the security means that even though i've shared everything in it to "Everyone" it still requires you to be part of the organisation.

http://e-spatial.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=aedac271d9d548e8997f84c515fa6094

cheers
Anna
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
NancyMarth
New Contributor II
Interesting...I'm having the same problem today, only I can't print any of our layers from within Firefox (updated version).  Only the ESRI basemap appears in a new window when I click the Print button within the ArcGIS.com viewer.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Anna, I can reproduce the problem. We'll need to check it out. Will your services be around for a while?

Nancy, are you able to print in other browsers? If so, can you share your web map publicly so I can look at it? When you say "print any of our layers" what type of layers are these? Are the running on ArcGIS Server? Are they publicly accessible from the internet (and not behind a firewall)? If they are behind a firewall, ArcGIS Online won't be able to print them.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AnnaLambrechtsen
New Contributor
Mike, yep, i can leave the services up there for a while - thanks for looking into this!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Anna, We have fixed your printing issue internally. The next update to ArcGIS.com will be in the December timeframe.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
NancyMarth
New Contributor II
Anna, I can reproduce the problem. We'll need to check it out. Will your services be around for a while?

Nancy, are you able to print in other browsers? If so, can you share your web map publicly so I can look at it? When you say "print any of our layers" what type of layers are these? Are the running on ArcGIS Server? Are they publicly accessible from the internet (and not behind a firewall)? If they are behind a firewall, ArcGIS Online won't be able to print them.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Happens in both IE9 and Chrome, too (updated versions of each).
We have 3 maps, shared only to our organization.  One is of the contiguous US, the other is Alaska alone, and the other is Hawaii alone.  Upon further examination, AK and HI will print fine: the data shows up in the print window.  The contiguous US map does not.  This makes me think it's an amount of data/map size issue.  I would be happy to make it public for you, if there's a window of time you can provide to me as to when you or others can check it, please let me know (no more than an hour?).  Otherwise, it needs organization only sharing all other times.   Thanks.

PS. Before seeing a reply to this thread and answering it (above), I sent the same email to our customer service rep, Joe Genther.  Just an FYI, so ESRI doesn't duplicate their effort.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
NancyMarth
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,
Happens in both IE9 and Chrome, too (updated versions of each).
We have 3 maps, shared only to our organization.  One is of the contiguous US, the other is Alaska alone, and the other is Hawaii alone.  Upon further examination, AK and HI will print fine: the data shows up in the print window.  The contiguous US map does not.  This makes me think it's an amount of data/map size issue.  I would be happy to make it public for you, if there's a window of time you can provide to me as to when you or others can check it, please let me know (no more than an hour?).  Otherwise, it needs organization only sharing all other times.   Thanks.

PS. Before seeing a reply to this thread and answering it (above), I sent the same email to our customer service rep, Joe Genther.  Just an FYI, so ESRI doesn't duplicate their effort.  Thanks.

To answer your other questions, it's an AGOL subscription account, so ESRI is hosting.  Also, the AK and HI maps are also shared via organization only but the map data appears in the print window.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Nancy,

Was the data added to the map as a shapefile? Or did you create a hosted service from it? If data privacy is a concern, you can invite my username, mikem, to a private group so I can see your maps.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
NancyMarth
New Contributor II
Nancy,

Was the data added to the map as a shapefile? Or did you create a hosted service from it? If data privacy is a concern, you can invite my username, mikem, to a private group so I can see your maps.

Thanks,

Mike

I created a hosted feature service (for zooming in) AND a hosted tile service of the layer (for zooming out). Not added as shapefile.  Both Alaska and Hawaii use only a hosted feature service, so the number of features for each whole state is  < 1000.  The US Contiguous map won't print with only the feature service or tile service showing (zoomed in or out).  I'll send you an invite to our group after a meeting I have now.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Nancy,

It is a bug that we currently can't print hosted tiled map services in an organization. This will be fixed at our next release in December. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike
0 Kudos