Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't display time enabled layer packages (.lpk) on argisonline

10-15-2012 07:31 AM
MattShipton
Emerging Contributor
I'm trying to build a simple time enabled web map. I gather that to do this i need to time enable a shapefile in its properties in arcgis desktop and then export that shp as a layer package straight into my argisonline content. So far so good. I can see the layer package in 'my content' but I can't find a way to add this data to an ArcGIS online map. Herein lies the problem:

If i click my layer package in 'my content' it takes me to a page which shows the lpk in a small preview window and displays its metadata. Under the preview box one of the tabs (next to share, delete, edit, change owner etc) says 'open'. Seems promising,.. but from the open drop-down menu the only options are 'open in arcgis for desktop' or 'download'.

My other option is to try and open it from an existing web map or click on 'Map' in the top level set of tabs and then try and open it in that. If I click add data, and then search for layers there is an option that says find data in my organization. Again sounds promising but it doesn't turn up in the search results?? Have tried all sorts of other searches here and again no luck.

I'm out of ideas? Simple question; I have a shapefile with a time field, I don't have my own server, how do I make a simple time enabled web map on arcgisonline?

Thanks in advance

Matt
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, you need your own ArcGIS server at this time to display time enabled data. This is something we're working on supporting with a subscription through hosted services.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MattShipton
Emerging Contributor
Many thanks for your quick reply. I know this is probably an impossible question but i'll try anyway; when you say "working on" any idea what sort of timescales might be involved?  Is this an iminent update, is it just an idea at this stage, can we expect something in the next 1-6 months? Thanks again for your reply. Matt
0 Kudos
MattShipton
Emerging Contributor
Forgot to add; for info; if it's going to be a while in development it would probably help other users if the arcGISonline help was changed as it infers that this functionality is currently available. Regards. Matt
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You can currently display time aware layers from services running on your own ArcGIS Server.
In the next 3-6 months, a hosted service associated with a subscription will be able to support it.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos