Editor Task in Web Application - Error trying to configure

Jump to solution
10-09-2012 06:33 AM
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Hello,
When I try to configure the Editor Task, I get this error: "This task requires an ArcGIS Server Local Service that is based on a map document (MXD). Please add an ArcGIS Server Local Service that is based on a map document (MXD) on the previous step before configuring the task." What does this mean? I thought ArcGIS 10.1 only had internet service? Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

you will not be able to configure the ArcGIS Web ADF Editor Task against an ArcGIS 10.1 for Server. As indicated by the error you get, you need a 'local connection' to an ArcGIS Server to configure this task.  ArcGIS 10.1 does not support local connections. We announced the deprecation of local connections in ArcGIS Server a bit over two years ago: http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2010/10/15/updated-deprecation-plans-for-arcgis-10-and-the-upcomin...

In ArcGIS 10.1 you can configure your web editing applications using the ArcGIS.com viewer, ArcGIS Viewer for Flex and ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight.

I would strongly recommend that you have a look at this free training seminar from our Esri Education Services group: http://training.esri.com/gateway/index.cfm?fa=catalog.webCourseDetail&courseID=2549

The error you get in the analyze window ( Enabled Feature Access capabilites (update)do not match the feature layer user privileges (Feature Service)) seems to indicate that the user that you are using in your database connection in ArcGIS does not have write permissions in that particular table. As Rob indicates you will want to make sure that you set the database permissions appropriately. But just to make sure, you should right click on the warning and select the Help option to find out about the specific details of the problem.

In any case, as I indicated above you will also need to look at a different web client. In general, I would try to move away from the Web ADF applications as much as possible. The new configurable applications we have typically deliver a better experience, leverage all the new features of ArcGIS Server and are much faster and scalable. 

I hope this helps,

Ismael Chivite
Senior ArcGIS for Server Product Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Hello,
this is an update to this issue. I selected Feature Access in the Service Editor so that data can be edited. Then I registered the views and tables in the database with the geodatabase. Now I am getting an error when I analyze in the Service editor. It says: Enabled Feature Access capabilites (update)do not match the feature layer user privileges (Feature Service). Any advice?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor
On the Geodatabase side of things, have you granted the ArcGIS Server Account read/write access to the FeatureDataset or FeatureClass?

In Catalog, under database servers, under your geodatabase, right click the feature class point to Manage and click Privilages.

Have you registered the database with the ArcGIS Server data store?

In Catalog, under GIS Servers, right click on your server and click Server Properties. CLick the + to register your database there.

Have you created a feature template in ArcMap before publishing?

As you share, does Analyze show any warnings?
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Hi Robert,
Thank you for responding. The three things you mentioned: Manager privileges of the database - done. Register the database with the server - done. The Feature template I have not done because I thought that was for creating records. We will only be updating tables. Anyway, still no luck.  To further explain, we are using a SQL database with tables AND views. The views are also in the map document. So obviously our web application has the SQL views in it. We think maybe the issue is because we can't update a sql view? We want to be able to update the sql tables that the views are based on.

So when I am creating a Service, I choose Feature Access and uncheck Create and Delete, but leave Update. Then Analyze. Here is the error I am getting: "Enabled Feature Access capabilities do not match feature layer user privileges." All of the items listed come from the sql views and not the sql tables.

Does Feature Access allow for defining what is to be updated and what is not?

Any ideas? I appreciate your help!

Thank you!
0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

you will not be able to configure the ArcGIS Web ADF Editor Task against an ArcGIS 10.1 for Server. As indicated by the error you get, you need a 'local connection' to an ArcGIS Server to configure this task.  ArcGIS 10.1 does not support local connections. We announced the deprecation of local connections in ArcGIS Server a bit over two years ago: http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2010/10/15/updated-deprecation-plans-for-arcgis-10-and-the-upcomin...

In ArcGIS 10.1 you can configure your web editing applications using the ArcGIS.com viewer, ArcGIS Viewer for Flex and ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight.

I would strongly recommend that you have a look at this free training seminar from our Esri Education Services group: http://training.esri.com/gateway/index.cfm?fa=catalog.webCourseDetail&courseID=2549

The error you get in the analyze window ( Enabled Feature Access capabilites (update)do not match the feature layer user privileges (Feature Service)) seems to indicate that the user that you are using in your database connection in ArcGIS does not have write permissions in that particular table. As Rob indicates you will want to make sure that you set the database permissions appropriately. But just to make sure, you should right click on the warning and select the Help option to find out about the specific details of the problem.

In any case, as I indicated above you will also need to look at a different web client. In general, I would try to move away from the Web ADF applications as much as possible. The new configurable applications we have typically deliver a better experience, leverage all the new features of ArcGIS Server and are much faster and scalable. 

I hope this helps,

Ismael Chivite
Senior ArcGIS for Server Product Manager
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Hi Ismael,
Thank you for your response. It was helpful.

Emily
0 Kudos