ERROR in ArcGIS Web Applications Manager trying to configure Editor Task

08-30-2012 06:10 AM
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
It's telling me: This task requires an ArcGIS Server Local Service that is based on a map document (MXD). Please add an ArcGIS Server Local Service that is based on a map document (MXD) on the previous step before configuring the task.

I believe the problem is that I can not connect to an ArcGIS Server Local Service in ArcGIS for Server 10.1, but how do I get around this so that I can use the Editor Tool?

Any help?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
what is your source dataset? shapefile, personal, file gdb, sde?
do you have a map document? can it display the data? is that what you are basing your published service on?
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Hi!
Yes I'm working with a mxd and the data is a SQL Server Geodatabase. I can display the map, set up query tasks, etc. I just can't get the Editor Task to work. I saw somewhere that the error has to do with the fact that Server 10.1 no longer allows for a local connect but I'm not positive.

Have you run across this before?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
the change at 10.1 involves DCOM communication from within things like SOEs.
You can no longer make connections like that at 10.1
this would be things in code using IMap, ILayer, IFeatureLayer.

I'm still not clear what you are trying to do.
Is this for a web application? are you publishing a map service? feature service?
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Yes, I am in the Web Applications Manager configuring tasks for the application. I have completed publishing the service and creating an application. I am able to configure the query task and print task but not the editor task.
0 Kudos
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
You need to be using a feature service as opposed to a map service if you wish to support editing.
To create a feature service you go through the same steps as a map service but you enable Feature Access in the capabilities tab.
ags should then generate a feature service to accompany your map service. This is where you should be configuring your editing capabilities.
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
I'll give it a shot.

Thank you very much!
0 Kudos