How to show and publish lat/long stored in SQL server to Spatial Data Server in 10.1?

08-21-2012 12:00 PM
PongthepMiankaew1
New Contributor
Hello,

I have lat and long data stored in a ordinary database(not geodatabase; and I don't know I have to convert it into geodatabase or not?) in SQL server 2008 R2.

I have a question about how to show these lat/long data from SQL server.
I know ArcGIS 10.1 can do this, but can anyone explain the steps how to access and show the lat/long data and then publish as a service for the spatial data server.

I have a plan to use ArcGIS for SharePoint to show it.

Thank you in advance,
Pongthep
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
I think you can do this via Query Layer. In ArcMap go to File>Add Data> Add Query Layer
The query layer will not mess with your table and will not register it with sde as far as i can tell.
You simply point to the table and tell it which columns are lat/lon
0 Kudos
ChrisBradberry
Occasional Contributor
I have published the lat long data in 10.0, but when it comes to 10.1 it does not seem to work correctly.  When attempting to publish, it will not let you register the layer's data source with the server, which makes it copy the data to the server.  Since the data is dynamic, it totally defeats the purpose of getting the data from SQL. 

Is there a way to publish a mxd made up of a query layer?

Chris
0 Kudos
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
I have also had that problem in the past month.
Something about the way you register the data is a little wonky with ags.
did you try to register your data both of the different ways they offer (register and register as managed)?
You should get a warning in arcmap as you publish if the data is going to be copied.
Also you should try the publish path where you only create a .sd file and hold off on the publishing directly from arcmap.
use the .sd to publish from the web manager then.

I can confirm that i have been able to publish a ql layer. It just took alot of tinkering. and when it finally worked i don't really know what exactly did the trick.
0 Kudos
ChrisBradberry
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Kevin, that helped.
0 Kudos