Select to view content in your preferred language

HTML5 Template for Web Application

08-20-2012 07:29 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
To All ArcGIS API for JavaScript Users and Developers:

I have been informed that HTML5 samples are bundled in with the Javascript API.  As such, can anyone point me to a good template that can be used as a starting point for a parcel-based viewer application?

It would be great if this template could begin as just a configurable application that a developer could later modify to fit my organization's specific business needs and database models.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Does anyone from ESRI know where I would find such a template for HTML5?
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Deactivated User
HTML5 means a lot of different things to different people. It can refer to using semantic markup or using some new browser technology, like geolocation, via JavaScript. It also occasionally means new CSS features that are part of CSS3. As such, we've stayed away from creating an "HTML5 Viewer" or "HTML5 Template" and focused on adding HTML5-ish features to the core API where it makes sense and have added samples showing other HTML5 technologies alongside the JS API.

Regarding your question of a parcel based viewer app template, there's the Tax Parcel Viewer template on ArcGIS Online. Live demo:  http://localgovtemplates.esri.com/TaxParcelViewer/default.htm
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Thank you for the info Derek.

The Tax Parcel Viewer template on ArcGIS Online link has references to Required software.  This section requires ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express.  My organization uses ArcSDE for Oracle.  Would this application work for me if I pointed it to the appropriate mapservice/feature class in my ArcSDE for Oracle database?  Or would this require a good deal of code modification?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Deactivated User
its been my experience that utilizing a different underlying RDBMS when adapting local government samples is usually fine, as long as you remember that the applications expect that your data have the exact same schema as the included samples. 

i once noticed that it was necessary to update configuration files to account for the fact that PostGRES always converts fieldnames to lower case, so you'll definitely want to watch out for those sorts of "gotchas" when tackling the project yourself.

also, while we are happy to provide assistance here.  the local government forum is probably the best place to get specific information related to templates
0 Kudos