Max file size for upload

08-03-2012 07:25 AM
RDHarles
Occasional Contributor
Is there a limitation on the zip file size of a shapefile when adding an item "On my computer" to ArcGIS Online?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I don't know of a specific size limit, but it would be quite large...as long as you're adding it to My Content and not directly to a web map. Are you encountering a problem?

MIke
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
By this information you are limited to 1000 features and a size of 10MB

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40010

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
RDHarles
Occasional Contributor
Hi Mike,

Yes, I'm adding to "My Content".  The zipped shapefile is 389 MB.  I Started uploading it before I left for work yesterday.  When I came in today, the "Add Item" popup window still said "Uploading item...".  It wasn't locked up but it never completed either?

The file I did before this one was 105 MB and it only took 3 minutes, that's why I'm questioning a file limit...

Thanks.

Anthony,
Thanks for the response but I believe those limits are either for the 30-day Trial or a "personal" ArcGIS Online account.  I have a ArcGIS Online for Organizations account.
0 Kudos
danielsmith1
New Contributor
You can import a file with up to 1000 features in it..or 10 MB

Note, your web browser (Internet Explorer 7 or 😎 can only import files with less than 750 features in them.

I noticed that when you do load really large files, the map performs slowly and locks up.
0 Kudos
RDHarles
Occasional Contributor
The limit must be between 150 MB & 293 MB (unless I'm maxing out on another variable like number of features).  I was able successfully add a zipped shapefile of just over 150 MB.  I could not add the next biggest file which was 293 MB.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi R.D.,

The limits mentioned earlier in this post are referring to adding features to a web map. As Mike pointed out, the max size of the file to upload would be quite large. You may often run into a browser limitation, or Network Policy that restricts open connections for XX amount of time.

Are you creating a service out of the uploaded shapefile, or are you simply uploading the shapefile to share destkop content with other users?

Are you able to try uploading this large file from a computer on a different network?

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
RDHarles
Occasional Contributor
Hi R.D.,

Are you creating a service out of the uploaded shapefile, or are you simply uploading the shapefile to share destkop content with other users?

Both, but want to use one of the layers as a feature service from the shapefile so I can use it as my basemap.

Perhaps it's timing out, will have to look into that.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
R.D.,

Have you tried publishing from ArcGIS Desktop 10.1?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
RDHarles
Occasional Contributor
R.D.,

Have you tried publishing from ArcGIS Desktop 10.1?

Thanks,
Andrew

I haven't, I'll try that...
Thanks.
0 Kudos