Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS.com Web Map Problems

Jump to solution
06-06-2012 07:52 AM
RichardSchulz
New Contributor
I have three problems/questions concerning web maps that I'm hoping someone can help me with.  (I am submitting these questions for someone else, so please ignore any minor errors in the wording/terminology used.)

1. Sometimes when I open a web map I have created and saved, I get the following error message: "The layer, <layer name>, cannot be added to the map."  Then the layer is deleted from my web map and I have to add it back and reset all symbology, names, etc.  This has happened with several different layers, all of which were feature services created by uploading shapefiles to arcgis.com.  This error doesn't occur every time, just once in a while.

2. I am trying to use the configurable templates on arcgis.com, but after customizing the template, my changes are not saved.  The "Save" button changes appearance when clicked on, but nothing else happens (even after several minutes); and I have to use the browser back button to exit the template customizing page.

3. I successfully added the 'USA Topo' basemap to my web map (using "add as basemap"), and saved/shared it using the "embed in website" option.  But when I open the "embedded" version of the web map, the USA Topo basemap layer is not there.

Any suggestions for solving the above problems would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PJNabors
Occasional Contributor
First time using forum and can't see where to check this thread as Answered..?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
1. I've seen this problem with web maps that reference services that are not available. The layer is removed from the map for the duration of the session. The best thing to do is to just stop viewing the web map and don't save changes. If you don't save, the layer will still be in the web map the next time you open the map. I've never seen this problem with maps that contain shapefiles. With shapefiles, all the data is stored inside the web map, so I'm not sure how you're getting that error message with shapefiles. Can you share the web map publicly?

2. What template are you using?

3. Can you share the web map publicly?

Thanks.

Mike
0 Kudos
PJNabors
Occasional Contributor
Mike, I submitted this Chat request two days ago with no reply.  If you could help I would appreciate it.  We're running out of time. (I have meetings from noon till about 3pm EST but will check again after that.

Problem Description
ArcGIS Online for Organizations: When opening a web map, receive the following warning 'The layer, xxx, cannot be added to the map.'
Detailed Description
ArcGIS Online for Organizations (Subscription) {Beta copy}. When opening a web map, receive the following warning 'The layer, Dispersed_Rec_Areas_dissolved_mp, cannot be added to the map.' Then feature service will not draw again despite reopening.

Need to publish a public recreation map this week if possible via ArcGIS Online for Organizations, but feature service is occasionally not found and needs to be re-setup. Cannot go public with this error. I am using Internet Explorer 8, but have also received the same message using FireFox 3.6.13 and even using a Mac with FireFox (my home computer, so it is not just our set up here at work). So it is not browser or operating system specific. I have received the message with different web maps using different data layers (meaning it is not layer or web map specific).
I create the feature service used in the map by uploading a shapefile to ArcGIS.com. Usually the message is sporadic, but I currently have it available on a web map and layer I have made public for you to help troubleshoot. I receive the error every time I bring up this particular web map: TVA Undeveloped Recreation Lands v1.0a (current link: http://bit.ly/LSoJ2r) which cannot find my feature service: Dispersed_Rec_Areas_dissolved_mp (current REST link: http://services.arcgis.com/w8auYAijfGK1Mydj/arcgis/rest/services/Dispersed_Rec_Areas_dissolved_mp/Fe...)
Have not found any help with this on the user forum or online resources.
Overcoming this error will sway determining whether we purchase a Subscription or not.
Thanks! Pamela (PJ) Nabors pjnabors@tva.gov Knoxville, TN 865-632-3121
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Basically you need to remove the layer and add it again to the map. However, since the layer didn't load into the web map anyway, simply save your web map again. The layer will be removed because it's not currently being displayed. THen, add the layer again using this URL.
"http://services.arcgis.com/w8auYAijfGK1Mydj/arcgis/rest/services/Dispersed_Rec_Areas_dissolved_mp/Fe..."

Somehow, when you added it to the map originally, a security token got appended to the URL.

"http://services.arcgis.com/w8auYAijfGK1Mydj/arcgis/rest/services/Dispersed_Rec_Areas_dissolved_mp/FeatureServer/0?token=vfJxpSnJ0R8maHzAVbqmYx_JPErPWO8oqn_OBuyc3rukuzhEd2Va0lN9zukPb75Q",

Is it possible that you copied the URL from your browser? Perhaps at the time, you had not shared the service with everyone like it is now, so you ended up copying the security token along with the URL. The token worked for a short time before it expired. Trying to view the layer now results in an error because the token has expired.

Can you can elaborate on the steps you used to add the layer to the map? Maybe there's a bug here where arcgis.com is appending the token when it shouldn't be.

If you want to keep security on the layer, you can change the sharing options of the service. When you open your web map, the only users who will be able to see the layer are those that are members of the group you shared it with or if you shared it with your organization, then everyone in your organization.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PJNabors
Occasional Contributor
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head!  Yes, I copied the REST link from my browser.  How else should I do it?
My steps are: From My Contents click on the feature service.  Under Layers, click the right arrow next to the name of the layer.  Choose Service URL.  Copy the browser link.  Go to my web map.  Click Add, Add Layer from Web and paste the URL in the URL field.

That makes sense as to why it was random, because sometimes I would set the Feature Service to Share with Everyone before doing the above step.  And on feature services with the security token I would use it happily until it would suddenly just time out.
No need to keep security on this layer.

Thank you much!  Let me know of a more appropriate way of adding my feature service to my web map.

THANKS,:)
PJ
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Since these items are already added to My Content, from the map viewer, you can click Add>Search for layers. You can restrict your search to My Content and just click GO. You should see all layers in your My Content that can be added to the web map (basically all services). This method shouldn't copy the token. Alternatively, when copying the URL from the browser, just don't copy the token when adding to the web map.

One advantage of adding the layer from within the map is that that web map will also be able to reference the item in arcgis.com (or your organization) that the service is based on. The item details can have more "metadata" about the service than the REST endpoint provides. Also, it is possible to save symbolization and popups back to the item. That way, if the layer item is added to another web map, it will draw and have popups as defined on the item.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PJNabors
Occasional Contributor
Thanks.  Now to solve issues 2. and 3.  I was trying to use the Basic Viewer map app.  I will try again today after setting up a web map with token-free layers.  I can also try FireFox instead of Internet Explorer 8 to see if the Save button will work.
0 Kudos
PJNabors
Occasional Contributor
Issue 2. has been resolved. (Save Config App buttons work!:)
0 Kudos
PJNabors
Occasional Contributor
Issue 3.  When using an imbedded map or the Basic Viewer web app template, why do the BaseMap choices not have the USA Topo Map?
Can we replace the Oceans choice (which is irrelevant for our area) with USA Topo Maps?
http://tva.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=e2eda485b1a2478798d1f6616eae308...
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
You can change the basemap choices when using the embedded map or Basic Viewer template but you'll have to append some url parameters to the url. To change the displayed basemaps you need to create an ArcGIS.com group that contains the basemaps you want to appear in the gallery. Once you've done this you can apply this information by adding the following parameters to your url. The basemapGroupOwner will be the owner of the new group you created and the basemapGroupTitle is the title.

https://team.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=422dca2738b941cb8f5fd3f1b0109...&basemapGroupOwner=Kelly&basemapGroupTitle='Basic%20Viewer%20Basemaps'

Issue 3. When using an imbedded map or the Basic Viewer web app template, why do the BaseMap choices not have the USA Topo Map? 
Can we replace the Oceans choice (which is irrelevant for our area) with USA Topo Maps? 
http://tva.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=e2eda485b1a2478798d1f6616eae308...
0 Kudos