Spatial Select Data That is Not In Map Service

06-21-2012 07:28 AM
chuckfrank
Occasional Contributor
Hi All,

I am going to be working with point data that is sensitive and cannot be in a published map service, not even with tokens.  I want to do a spatial selection on the points to select the points within a polygon and return attribute information only.  First, is it possible to do a spatial selection against data that is not published as a map service?  I could choose to store the data in any of these formats that might work -(feature class, could be in file gdb, sde, layer in mxd, or even flat sql table).  Second, is there any example of this? 

I looked at this tutorial (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/GP_service_ex...)  and at #2 "Geoprocessing Service with Source Map Document" it seems to indicate that a geoprocessing service can access datasets on a disk.

My fallback idea is to run a straight sql query on the data and loop through each coordinate to check if it's inside or outside a polygon, but that will only be if I can't find a better way. 

Thanks,
Chuck
0 Kudos
2 Replies
HemingZhu
Occasional Contributor III
Hi All,

I am going to be working with point data that is sensitive and cannot be in a published map service, not even with tokens.  I want to do a spatial selection on the points to select the points within a polygon and return attribute information only.  First, is it possible to do a spatial selection against data that is not published as a map service?  I could choose to store the data in any of these formats that might work -(feature class, could be in file gdb, sde, layer in mxd, or even flat sql table).  Second, is there any example of this? 

I looked at this tutorial (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/GP_service_ex...)  and at #2 "Geoprocessing Service with Source Map Document" it seems to indicate that a geoprocessing service can access datasets on a disk.

My fallback idea is to run a straight sql query on the data and loop through each coordinate to check if it's inside or outside a polygon, but that will only be if I can't find a better way. 

Thanks,
Chuck

Runing a GP service without a source .mxd is a pretty good choice. You could be able to choose the feature class directly throught .sde file....
0 Kudos
chuckfrank
Occasional Contributor
Do you know the syntax to connect to the SDE database?  I've been using model builder to build geoprocessing services.  I have a clip function to clip an SDE layer, but when I try to publish and test the tool I get a "000732 - dataset does not exist error".  It's trying to find something that looks like this "Database Connections\database.sde\database.DBO.SurfaceWater\database.DBO.sites" but it can't because that's back on the server.  In .NET I'd use a connection string, but I'm hoping to do this in model builder.  Is it possible?

Thanks
0 Kudos