Class not Registered (ESRI.ArcGIS.CatalogUI)

05-21-2012 11:17 AM
DennisGeasan
Occasional Contributor II
I'm trying to run an app under an ArcGIS Engine license.  I'm getting a license OK but my code fails when trying to open the class ESRI.ArcGIS.CatalogUI.SpatialReferenceDialogClass.  This belongs to the library ESRI.ArcGIS.CatalogUI which is not included in an Engine installation. 
I get an error message the CLSID {16688541-54C4-11D2-AAD3-00C04FA33A15} is not registered. This is the COM class ID for the
SpatialReferenceDialogClass class. 

In the compile of my app I am including the library ESRI.ArcGIS.CatalogUI.dll and esriCatalogUI.olbesriCatalogUI.olb and setting the property to register these libraries.  I have Desktop installed on my development machine.

The library files are present in the installation folder of my app.  I even tried using 'regsvr32' to register the files.  the 'olb' file registers but I can't register the 'dll'.  I get an error that the 'dll' may not be a proper 'dll'.

The goal here is to utilize the Coordinate Systems dialog available in ArcGIS Desktop. 

Is this failing because I have to have Desktop installed?

DG
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I would think so.

The link below says that CatalogUI is available for ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/componenthelp/index.html#/Overview/00150000016v000...

Is there a way to get ArcCatalog other than installing Desktop?

You might be able to hack your way around this by redistributing ESRI desktop libraries but I doubt that doing so is legal.
0 Kudos
DennisGeasan
Occasional Contributor II
What I want to avoid is having to install Desktop.  The app is not really an add-on to Desktop.  But I do want to use the Coordinate System dialog Desktop provides.  So if I get a floating Desktop license this should work?  But I'm also wondering if there is something else to be done to specifically register the 'SpatialReferenceDialogClass' class. 

In code how does one reqest a floating license?

DG
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
You might try to install just ArcCatalog from the Desktop setup.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
You can't install just arccatalog, you have to install desktop.  CatalogUI is specific to ArcGIS desktop and cannot be used in pure engine applications.  This is deliberate since ui classes such as forms have windows dependencies and engine is designed to work on non-windows platforms as well windows.  Any redistribution of esri dlls would a. be a hack, b. probably in violation or license agreements, c. would need redistribution of the com dll not just the .net wrapper and any other dll that this dll depends on and d. subject to fail at any update of arcgis version or service pack.
0 Kudos