cwilcomb

show message if map service unavailable

Discussion created by cwilcomb on May 8, 2012
Latest reply on May 8, 2012 by stevel
It seems like this should be fairly straight forward but I haven't found a great solution yet. I would like to show my users a message, and possibly alter the way our interface looks, if and when there is a problem with one of our map services. In my application I have a basemap (ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer), a dynamic layer (ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer) and a couple feature layers (FeatureLayer). For the basemap and dynamic layer, I am just doing a straightforward constructor and then map.addLayer to add them to the map. For the feature layers, I am doing a constructor, applying a setDefinitionExpression and then using map.addLayer to add to the map.

If any of the services are down I want to be able to tell the user, at minimum with an alert or message.

I thought I could use onLayerAddResult(layer, error) but it doesn't seem to be getting called if the layer based on a stopped/bad service is added to the map.

I see similar examples using esri.request but it doesn't seem like I should have to do an extra call to the service since in the console I see these types of calls to each service:

http: //myserver/ArcGIS/rest/services/Streets/Mask/MapServer?f=json&dpi=96&transparent=true&format=png8&layers=show%3A-1&callback=dojo.io.script.jsonp_dojoIoScript2._jsonpCallback

With a response of either:

dojo.io.script.jsonp_dojoIoScript2._jsonpCallback({"serviceDescription" : null,"mapName":"Layers","description":"","copyrightText":"","layers":[{"id":0,"name":"LMBCO_Mask","parentLayerId":-1,"defaultVisibility":true,"subLayerIds":null}],"tables":[],"spatialReference":{"wkid":2263},"singleFusedMapCache":false,"initialExtent":{"xmin":806353.163236593,"ymin":139639.306949227,"xmax":1165380.94101437,"ymax":327833.751393672,"spatialReference":{"wkid":2263}},"fullExtent":{"xmin":824755.941014371,"ymin":38597.6402825604,"xmax":1146978.16323659,"ymax":323319.862504783,"spatialReference":{"wkid":2263}},"units":"esriFeet","supportedImageFormatTypes":"PNG32,PNG24,PNG,JPG,DIB,TIFF,EMF,PS,PDF,GIF,SVG,SVGZ,BMP","documentInfo":{"Title":"","Author":"","Comments":"","Subject":"","Category":"","Keywords":"","AntialiasingMode":"Normal","TextAntialiasingMode":"Force"},"capabilities":"Map,Query,Data"});

if the service is up and running, or:

dojo.io.script.jsonp_dojoIoScript2._jsonpCallback({"error":{"code":400,"message":"Unable to complete  operation.","details":["Service 'NYCStreets/LMBCO_Mask' of type 'MapServer' does not exist or is inaccessible."]}});

if the service is not available.

Is there a way to handle this reponse that comes back?

Thanks for your help!

Chad Wilcomb

Outcomes