Editing with Oracle database

Jump to solution
05-01-2012 09:56 AM
Jean-FrançoisDucré-Robitaille
New Contributor II
Hi!,

I've recently developped an application with an editing tool. However, I received an unable to apply edit when I try to update or add something to a feature layer. Our data are stored in a Oracle database with ArcSDE. We use Oracle accounts in the database, not OS authentificaiton. I would like to know with what account should I create my feature dataset (mine or ArcGIS SOC)?

Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffPace
MVP Alum
This is our exact environment:

1. The data in SDE must be versioned.  Owner of the data does not matter, as long as an editor (DB user) has edit privileges.
2. The ArcGISSOC user is not a database user, only OS.  It does not need to be on the database server
3. Create your mxd and switch the version to the edit version (this will change at 10.1, were you will likely publish the msd at the parent SDE version and specify in the application which child private version you will use).  Right now you have to hardcode the edit version in the mxd/msd.
4. Publish the MSD to server, enabling feature services. 
5. The directory the MSD resides in is the one that <active directory>/ArcGISSOC user needs access to.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
JMcNeil
Occasional Contributor III
I don't think it matters who creates the Feature Layer but it needs to be versioned and the ArcGISSOC user needs to granted editing privileges (view and edit) (all done in Catalog). 

Jay...mark yes if that answered your question
0 Kudos
New Contributor II
I don't think it matters who creates the Feature Layer but it needs to be versioned and the ArcGISSOC user needs to granted editing privileges (view and edit) (all done in Catalog). 

Jay...mark yes if that answered your question

Does the ARCGISSOC account must exist in the Oracle database user "list"? The ArcGISSOC account is a network account, not a local account. Does it change something?
0 Kudos
JMcNeil
Occasional Contributor III
Is your server and SDE on separate machines?

Occasionally, the situation may arise that your data is on a machine with no components of ArcGIS Server installed and you are following the recommended practice of using local accounts for the SOC account. You will need to use the operating system tools to create a local SOC account on the machine containing your data. Create a local account on the machine hosting your data and assign it the same name and password as the SOC account on all the other machines in your deployment. The GIS server will then be able to recognize that it has permissions to access your data.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/Common_proble...

Jay
0 Kudos
New Contributor II
Is your server and SDE on separate machines?

Occasionally, the situation may arise that your data is on a machine with no components of ArcGIS Server installed and you are following the recommended practice of using local accounts for the SOC account. You will need to use the operating system tools to create a local SOC account on the machine containing your data. Create a local account on the machine hosting your data and assign it the same name and password as the SOC account on all the other machines in your deployment. The GIS server will then be able to recognize that it has permissions to access your data.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/Common_proble...

Jay

The SDE / Oracle database and ArcGIS Server are on two different machines. Our ArcGISSOC user account is from a Windows Domain and the Oracle Database uses  database authentication. Do I still need to create a SOC local account with the same name and same password as the domain one? Does the SOC account must also exist in the database?

I can erase a feature with the editor, but any other modification (add or update) cannot be apply...

Thanks
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

1. The data in SDE must be versioned.  Owner of the data does not matter, as long as an editor (DB user) has edit privileges.
2. The ArcGISSOC user is not a database user, only OS.  It does not need to be on the database server
3. Create your mxd and switch the version to the edit version (this will change at 10.1, were you will likely publish the msd at the parent SDE version and specify in the application which child private version you will use).  Right now you have to hardcode the edit version in the mxd/msd.
5. The directory the MSD resides in is the one that <active directory>/ArcGISSOC user needs access to.
New Contributor II

I started with a new feature dataset and a new feature class, with a edit version (this part I missed earlier). Everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
I started with a new feature dataset and a new feature class, with a edit version (this part I missed earlier). Everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks

awesome.  Glad I could help.  the 10.1 beta indicates you will be able to select your version. Looking forward to this, but glad you got it working for now.
0 Kudos
Nadiia_Matsiuk
New Contributor III

@Jean-FrançoisDucré-Robitaille  @JeffPace Hi!

I have a similar problem. I can't editing data in my ArcGIS Portal or in Experience Builder (including Developer Edition). This data we get from Oracle database.  Do you have any idea for solve this issue?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

0 Kudos
JeffPace1
New Contributor III

Your options are

1. Version the data, publish the data as a headless versioned editor, using group permissions in portal to manage access

2. Version the data, publish the data as parent public version owner (sde) .  NOT RECOMMENDED

3. Publish the data as the data owner and do non-versioned editing