All raster geoprocessing fails with the dreaded "ERROR 999998"

Jump to solution
04-18-2012 08:11 AM
WilbertSoitgoes
New Contributor II
Since installing ArcGIS 10 I've not been successful performing any geoprocessing of raster datasets. Every raster geoprocessing tool that I've tried returns one of the two dreaded OS errors:

ERROR 999998: Unexpected Error
ERROR 999998: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

(whether in ArcMap or ArcCatalog). In ArcMap (ArcInfo) I can import/export rasters and do other editing types of operations. This is specific to the raster geoprocessing tools only - I can run other geoprocessing scripts and have been doing some fairly robust Python and C#/Silverlight development using non-raster geoprocessing tools and haven't run into these errors.

I've ...

???    Turned off UAC.
???    Set the environment variables for scratch and current workspaces to non-spaced folder paths like F:\GIS\TEMP.
???    Tested on small raster datasets of different formats and from different sources.
???    Tried using different input/output formats (TIFF, PNG, JPEG, etc.)
???    Turned off pyramid building and statistics creation.
???    Turned off compression.
???    Moved data to a different drive (C:\Temp)
???    Renamed the ArcCatalog.gx and Normal.gxt files at ...\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcCatalog as well as renaming the entire ...\AppData\Roaming\ESRI folder.
???    Reviewed the Geoprocessing logs at ...\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcToolbox\log.
???    Reviewed my virus software settings.
???    Danced around my desk chanting "Jack Dangermond is God" while burning incense and thinking good GIS thoughts.

All of which have not worked, though my office smells really good.

Short of reinstallation (Noooooo!!!) I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

System Specs:

???    ArcGIS 10 SP4
???    Processor: Intel Xeon x5650 2x6=12 processors
???    Memory: 96GB
???    OS: Windows 7 Pro x64
???    Disk: 3.5TB Raid5

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA, Wilbert
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilbertSoitgoes
New Contributor II
After posting this message an ESRI support person contacted me and started an incident. He provided the attached Word doc and a zip file with a zipped executable - COM Explorer - for finding orphaned registry entries and removing them.

• It seems that a previous 9.3 installation is not necessarily fully uninstalled when you upgrade to ArcGIS 10.0 and use the handy "uninstall previous versions" tool in the install. <-- Huh.

• If you are experiencing wholesale systemic problems like this after upgrading to 10, you'll need to reinstall after following the steps in the document.

• However - the COM Explorer included was an old (1999/2000) utility that didn't work in Windows 7 and I didn't use it.

After renaming a couple folders and registry keys and reinstalling, my problems were solved.

Thanks go to Jeff S. at ESRI support.

Wilbert ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WilbertSoitgoes
New Contributor II
After posting this message an ESRI support person contacted me and started an incident. He provided the attached Word doc and a zip file with a zipped executable - COM Explorer - for finding orphaned registry entries and removing them.

• It seems that a previous 9.3 installation is not necessarily fully uninstalled when you upgrade to ArcGIS 10.0 and use the handy "uninstall previous versions" tool in the install. <-- Huh.

• If you are experiencing wholesale systemic problems like this after upgrading to 10, you'll need to reinstall after following the steps in the document.

• However - the COM Explorer included was an old (1999/2000) utility that didn't work in Windows 7 and I didn't use it.

After renaming a couple folders and registry keys and reinstalling, my problems were solved.

Thanks go to Jeff S. at ESRI support.

Wilbert ...
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Not a problem Wilbert!  I am glad that the uninstall worked for you.  I encourage forum posters, who have maintenance to make an incident with Support.  We are here to help speed you along, so rather than frantically posting in forums, for individual help, make a Support Incident and get your very own Analyst to help with your particular issue.
0 Kudos