Zoom limit in ArcGIS OnLine Map

03-23-2012 01:37 PM
SierkOudemans
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am pretty new to ArcGIS Online and found that you can't seem to zoom in beyond a certain point, using an iPad, to something greater than 1:15,000 in ArcGIS Desktop terms.  Is this some built in limitation or is it something I am missing.  If it is the latter could you please provide instructions on how to remove this or a link to a document explaining the same. 

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The coverage at a given scale varies across the basemaps and within a given basemap. Typically, you can zoom in more to major metropolitan areas and less in rural areas. Here's an excerpt from the description of our World Topographic basemap.

The map provides coverage for the world down to a scale of ~1:72k. Coverage is provided down to ~1:4k for the following areas: Australia and New Zealand; Europe; Canada; Mexico; United States; parts of Southern Africa including Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa, and Swaziland; and parts of South America including Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Venezuela. Coverage down to ~1:1k and ~1:2k is available in select urban areas.

Other basemaps are similar.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SierkOudemans
New Contributor II
Mike,

Is there any way to override this behaviour?  I have overlay layers that a user might want to zoom into closer then the base map allows.

Sierk
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The basemap determines the visible range of the map. For layers you add from the web (e.g., ArcGIS Server map servers, WMS, CSVs by reference), you can make these layers the basemap. Then you'd be able to zoom in.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelGilbrook2
New Contributor III

Mike - I have a related question and this thread is the closest thing I've seen. I have published a layer of proposed infrastructure projects to a public web map using ArcGIS Online. Some residents complain that when they do an address search the result is at so large a scale that they have to zoom out several steps to see any projects. How can I limit the maximum scale at which the web map will display? Setting the Scale Range for the feature class only controls whether the layer is shown at all in beyond a given scale (e.g., 1:24,000). I need something that prevents ArcGIS Online from displaying in closer than 1:24,000. Thanks!

Michael

MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

There is currently no way to restrict the maximum scale. This has been discussed by our team and we have it written up as an enhancement, but it just hasn't been implemented. 

What is the current maximum scale of your basemap? Are you using something custom? 

Mike

0 Kudos
BillWinston
New Contributor III

This would be a very helpful function to add.  I have a Tile Layer that disappears  at 1:1028 and I would like to stop folks from zooming in beyond that level.  That said, is there a way to make my Tile Layer appear at higher scales?

Bill

0 Kudos
IsaiahSuarez
New Contributor II

Hi Mike.

I was googling this issue and landed on here.

Will there be an update/configuration tool for this in a future?

I tried couple available web apps and also the ArcGIS Online Assistant, but couldn't solve the issue.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

wbgisuser‌ as far as I know there have been no updates on this idea for either setting a maximum scale, or allowing zooming in beyond the maximum scale of the basemap.

0 Kudos
AlphonsEvers
New Contributor II

It seem like 5 years later there has been fix for this issue.
I'd like to be able to set the maximum zoom for a search in Map Viewer classic.
Will the new Map Viewer get this functionality.

Thanks.

0 Kudos