Can ArcGIS API for Javascript connect with my PostgreSQL

03-18-2012 09:57 AM
BaskoroGuntur
New Contributor
hi, i'm newbie in this ArcGIS stuff and i'm sorry if my English is bad, i just exploring ArcGIS API for Javascript and make my first Web Application , my question is can this API connect with my PostgreSQL because i only found the sample how to add layer from our shapefile, GPX etc, but not connecting with our database ...

please forgive me if i post in wrong place ... 🙂
0 Kudos
4 Replies
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
can this API connect with my PostgreSQL because i only found the sample how to add layer from our shapefile, GPX etc, but not connecting with our database ...

Are you trying to load spatial data (points, lines or polygons) rather than tabular data? If so, you'll need some kind of spatial server, to provide spatial features to the ArcGIS Server JavaScript API.

Typically you would use ArcGIS Server, but you could also use GeoServer or similar open source products (since you mentioned PostgreSQL).

ArcGIS Server would allow you to serve tiled layers, dynamic layers or feature layers, while I believe GeoServer would limit you to serving WMS layers.

Steve
0 Kudos
BaskoroGuntur
New Contributor
Hi there,

Thanks for the advice, it seems that i've to learn how to use ArcGIS Server for my needs, ok, i will back soon if i find another problem, thanks again ...
0 Kudos
KrishV
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Did you find any solution for this. If yes, can you post a sample.

Regards,

Krish

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

see the software url about that.

create a query layer for your database layers (as  I can understand you have already a Postgres with PostGIS enabled) Creating a query layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  from the Desktop Software.

Alternative you can register your database with ArcGIS for Server.

After that publish the layers as Map Services Tutorial: Publishing a map service—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

Finally access the services through Rest Interface  ArcGIS Server providing from ArcGIS Javascript API.

Also take a look on this Esri Video ArcGIS for Server: An Introduction | Esri Video

0 Kudos