Way to find version of SDE

04-30-2010 09:14 AM
FarooqMunir
New Contributor II
Hi,

Just wanted to ask, is there an easy way to find out the version of SDE running either from ArcCatalog or just by logging onto Oracle ?

Thanks,

FM
17 Replies
EricPaitz
Esri Contributor
There is an SDE system table called SDE_version. This table contains all the major, minor and bugfix version numbers. This could be done with a simple query using your RDBMS. Technically you could write a custom command for ArcCatalog that could query this table and display the version information. I think you can also run any of the SDE commands from a DOS prompt and it will display the version number as part of the command syntax. If you are running the SDE command on a different computer then where you have SDE installed you will have to supply the -i parameter.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Actually, that table has a history of not being fully modified during upgrade.  If you have an
older version of ArcSDE that was upgraded from something even earlier, it's doubtful that
the contents are correct.

The definitive authority on ArcSDE version is the output of the SE_connection_get_release
function, which is what is exposed by the 'sdeping' utility of se_toolkit --

C:\>sdeping -u ***** -p ***** -i sde_eval93

ArcSDE 9.3 Connection Test Utility       Fri Apr 30 14:03:04 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------
         Server: localhost
       Instance: sde_eval93
       Database: eval93
       Username: *****
          RDBMS: PostgreSQL
        Version: 9.3.1
    Description: PostgreSQL Build 2784(PostgreSQL)
     Build Date: Tue Oct 27 10:51:14  2009
        Release: 93005

As Eric mentioned, the ArcSDE command-line utilities expose the 'desc' member
of the SE_RELEASE structure (which 'sdeping' splits for readability):
C:\>sdelayer -o describe -u foo -p ***** -i sde_eval93 -O bar

ArcSDE 9.3.1  for PostgreSQL Build 2784 Tue Oct 27 10:51:14  2009
Layer    Administration Utility
-----------------------------------------------------
Bar does not own any layers OR user foo does not have access to any of bar's layers.

- V
EricPaitz
Esri Contributor
Hey Vince, thanks for the correction. Do what he said. 😄
0 Kudos
WillWhite1
New Contributor
I would like to be able to use sdeping for ArcSDE 10.1 but I'm not sure that there is an se_toolkit available for this version? If not, is there another way to determine the version of the database (ie what version of ArcGIS was used to create the ordinal geodatabase)? Thanks in advance

Will
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
As posted above, commands like 'sdelayer' report the contents of the SE_RELEASE structure.

'se_toolkit-10.1' will be released after I work around some new "features" that are causing
my regression tests to fail.  But 10.0 clients like 'sdeping' are able to connect to 10.1 servers,
so the current se_toolkit-9.3 release for 10.0 should suffice.

- V
0 Kudos
WillWhite1
New Contributor
As posted above, commands like 'sdelayer' report the contents of the SE_RELEASE structure.

'se_toolkit-10.1' will be released after I work around some new "features" that are causing
my regression tests to fail.  But 10.0 clients like 'sdeping' are able to connect to 10.1 servers,
so the current se_toolkit-9.3 release for 10.0 should suffice.

- V

Great - thanks for the information.

Will
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
For almost all use cases you should be able to use python to get at the information you are looking for. Take a look at the workspace describe properties:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Workspace_properties/018v0000002v000000

Use the release property to find the geodatabase release:
arcpy.Describe('Database Connections\\test.sde).release

Use the currentRelease property to find out if the geodatabase is current:
arcpy.Describe('Database Connections\\test.sde).currentRelease

With service pack updates the geodatabase version typically does not change but we do sometimes update geodatabase internals such as stored procedures. You can use the currentRelease property to determine if stored procedures may have been updated at the service pack and thus need to be updated on your server. The currentRelease property compares the version of Desktop (or Server) you are using to run Python to the geodatabase you are describing.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
SachinChand
Occasional Contributor
I believe the steps above give the version of the geodatabase installed.  Is there a way to check the version of ArcSDE itself?

Thank you
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
There shouldn't ever be a difference between the version of the geodatabase and the ArcSDE
in which it lives.  And the client ArcSDE should always be the version of the ArcGIS client.

- V
0 Kudos