Selectively use Proxy page

02-24-2012 10:50 AM
DanielWalton
Occasional Contributor
I have an app that loads secure AGS services, and I would like to use a proxy page to protect the credentials. However, I don't want to route all the basemap tiles through my proxy too. Is there a way to selectively use a proxy page for some layers and not others?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Not a direct answer to your question, but have you looked at using the identity manager to manage access to secure services?
0 Kudos
DanielWalton
Occasional Contributor
I want to protect all credentials and logins from the client, since I am using ASP.NET forms authentication sitewide to control access. Would it be possible to define a useProxy property for each layer I create instead of using the proxy for everything?
0 Kudos
DanaSteil
New Contributor
Did you ever find a fix for this problem?
0 Kudos
DanielWalton
Occasional Contributor
We ended up embedding tokens in the page with ASP.NET.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
you can ask server side token with a short life-span for only secure services and then you append these tokens in request layer, query ect.
Configure only esri.config.defaults.io.proxyUrl for possible request >2000 char
0 Kudos
DanielWalton
Occasional Contributor
The ability to set a proxy property on each layer would still be a useful feature. We currently can do this in Silverlight but not in js. Our customers often want to see map services from secure sources mashed up with public services from other servers. A global proxy setting forces all these layers to be routed through our proxy server, which is very inefficient and puts a lot of extra load on our server. It doesn't seem all that hard to add a property to the ESRI layer classes. Pretty please?
0 Kudos
MattLane
Occasional Contributor II
I noticed in today's announcement of the release of 3.4 this nugget:
Support for proxies on a per-service basis
Use esri.addProxyRule to specify a proxy to use on a per-service or per-resource basis.

http://developers.arcgis.com/en/javascript/jshelp/whats_new.html

This is a welcome addition in my opinion.
0 Kudos