HTTP Post For Custom Layer

Jump to solution
02-22-2012 12:01 PM
SeanHarkins
New Contributor III
I realize that this is a bit of an esoteric question, but I don't know quite enough about the JS API internals to see if this is possible.  I have client who is considering migrating their application to use the JS API (to take advantage of an organization's cached services).  Currently they use some proprietary technology to generate map images for their application.  If they were to migrate they would still need to use some proprietary technology to generate a specific type of map image, this image generation will be exposed as a service.  This service could be used in the JS API via a Custom Layer.

However, due to the complexity of the image request their application generates (a large number of parameters are required for filtering features in the request), I'm concerned they may run into URL query string length limitations when using HTTP GET.  Is it possible to force a Custom Layer implementation to use HTTP POST for communication with the server and if so how would one approach this.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
The API will handle this for you automatically. If a URL to a resource is > 2k characters, the API does a POST instead of a GET.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
The API will handle this for you automatically. If a URL to a resource is > 2k characters, the API does a POST instead of a GET.
0 Kudos