Update SDE feature class with graphic

01-26-2012 01:33 PM
EdSaunders
Occasional Contributor
Hi all, in my app I'm using the Google Maps API to geocode an address. I'm then using that location to select the coincident parcel from another layer (a feature layer from ArcGIS Server).

Challenge: I'd like to add the selected parcel graphic as a feature to another layer (which resides in SDE).  In other words, the selected parcel graphic becomes a feature in another layer.  As well as adding the parcel graphic as a feature, I'd like it to automatically populate some attribute fields using a spatial intersect.

I can see how to edit feature layers using the ESRI samples so I don't necessarily need code, just some ideas on the best methodology to use here would be great. 

Thanks for any help.

Ed
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor
I've done something similar using geoprocessing services.  The user draws a graphic, or creates a graphic from XY coordinates.  That graphic then gets passed to a geoprocessing service that appends the feature to a feature class within a file geodatabase.  I use it as a way to "edit" file geodatabases, without using ArcSDE.  It works great, but is probably much slower than editing directly into SDE.  I allow my users to draw and/or create multiple graphics, which then get appended in a "bulk upload" fashion, so that the time it takes the operation to run is worth their while.  I adopted this strategy before feature services were included in the API, and found a sample that ESRI put out showing how to do it.  Here's a link.
Editing Sample
Ken
0 Kudos
EdSaunders
Occasional Contributor
Ken, thanks, this looks very promising.
0 Kudos