jhchan69

creating help for a tool

Discussion created by jhchan69 on Jan 24, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 by Jacqueline.Brost_MNDNR
I'm trying to create a help file for a tool I've created for some non-GIS users. The old method (in 9.3) was easy and intuitive. I've yet to figure out how v10.0 works. I can edit the "Item Description" but if a user clicks on Help when using the tool he/she will not see anything from the "Item Description" which is really frustrating after spending time filling out all those fields.

When right clicking on my script inside my toolbox to access its properties there's a tab for "Help" but the only option it gives you is to reference an existing .CHM file. And yet there's no info on how to create this .CHM file. Does anyone out there know? The ArcGIS help page on this is actually not very good as it does not give you any direct links to any of the topics they reference. In fact, I've been browsing the microsoft library for almost an hour now and still I cannot find any reference to information on "creating and compiling .chm files" as noted on the ArcGIS help site.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I have an html file that I thought I could use but after using Google, I can find no converter for file formats into a .chm, just the opposite - creating pdfs, html, doc from a chm.

Outcomes