Select to view content in your preferred language

How to edit Objectid field

11-07-2011 08:43 AM
HenokTiruneh
New Contributor
Hi all,

I want to edit the OBJECTID field name in the attribute table of my feature class that i have created. I did some analysis and the 'OBJECTID' field name was changed to 'OBJECTID_12'. I don't know how to change it back to 'OBJECTID' field name?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KimOllivier
Honored Contributor
The OBJECTID is a system primary key index of guaranteed unique values for that table that is read only, used by geoprocessing tools, scrolling and other system functions.

The OBJECTID_12 name is the result of an operation that combined two tables with an existing non-primary OBJECTID.

To avoid the primary key getting named in a nonstandard way, make sure that the source tables do not contain a 'normal' field called objectid before you do the analysis, otherwise it is too late to change it later. If you want to have a user-id that you can control or use as a 'foreign key' then you will have to name it something else.

Esri have a policy of not allowing field renaming. Possibly because it breaks internal relationships such as indexes, relates and other complex objects, even if you have none. Some third party tools such as ET Geotools allow it, but it probably just does an add/copy/delete cycle which you could do also. You could try using an alias field name, but this cannot be used in geoprocessing, and it always catches me.

Relational tables are specifically not allowed to have implicit order of fields or rows (see Codd's rules) so you have no control of stored order, only output in reports and displays.
0 Kudos
HenokTiruneh
New Contributor
Thank you very much. You answer was very helpful. You have answered my questions in detail.
0 Kudos
SaraAbuzied
Emerging Contributor
Hi

I have FID in attribute table of streams and I did spatially join to sub basins attribute table to calculate the total number of streams and total stream length in each sub basin. I want to edit Object ID to attribute table  of streams to be able do this calculations. I extract the stream features from conversion from steam order raster. 

sara
0 Kudos