Image Service Definition Editor

09-29-2011 08:09 AM
LindsyFritz
New Contributor
Estimates:

Along with health, I want to help me with the following:
I have installed on the server Image Server Extensions product version 10, is the first time I use this extension. So I reviewed the documentation ESRI Image server 10, here indicated that there is a toolbar for ArcGIS Desktop Image Service Definition Editor, which allows image processing.

ArcGIS Desktop I have 10 with ArcEditor license, I tried to load the Editor toolbar image service definition, both ArcMap and ArcCatalog from, and is not displayed, so I can not load it.

What is the procedure that I do to see the toolbar and then upload it to my ArcGIS Desktop 10?
Should I install the  Image Server extension on my desktop pc to see the editor toolbar image service definition?

I am grateful to outline the steps to follow, given that even when I read the documentation for ESRI, this does not solve my problem.

Greetings, and thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
With ArcGIS10 you do not need to install anything on the desktop to use the Image Extension. The Image Extension is the capability for ArcGIS Server to serve Mosaic Datasets. These allow large collections of imagery to be served as image services with the server performing any required dynamic mosaicking and on-the-fly processing.

The ArcEditor license for ArcGIS Desktop is sufficient to be able to create MosaicDataset. For help look to the "What is a mosaic dataset?" section in the help. This will show you how to create mosaic datasets using the tools available in ArcToolbox: DataManagement\Raster\MosaicDataset
You should find that you can quickly created mosaic datasets of your image collections.

Mosaic Datasets can be directly accessed using ArcGIS Desktop. This enables other users to easily access the image collections in a workgroup type environment. Mosaic Datasets can be served as image services (which requires the image extension) to make the imagery quickly accessible to large  numbers of users on the web.

In ArcGIS 10, the Image Service Definition Editor is a set of tools to provide backward compatibility for the 9.3 versions of Image Server that used ISDef files. It requires a separate install and license. It is only required by users that have created workflows in 9.3 based on ISDef files and wish to use them at V10 of ArcGIS. From your description it appear that you have not used ISDef files in the past, so I would recommend only using Mosaic Datasets which are even more capable.
0 Kudos
EthanGranger
New Contributor
I don't feel like the question is answered here. I've got a similar problem. I can create a raster mosaic, but I can't find the image service toolbar to publish it. I can, however, publish it as a standard MSD without the image server extension.
0 Kudos
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
To publish 1 image (raster dataset) you do not require the ArcGIS Server Image extension.
To publish a collection of images using the mosaic dataset you require the ArcGIS Server Image extension.

There is no toolbar to create the mosaic dataset.
There is no toolbar to publish the data as an image service. You publish an image service from within the Catalog Window (or ArcCatalog).

If using ArcGIS 10.0:
Learn how to publish an image service to ArcGIS Server
Learn about serving raster and image data
Learn how to create a mosaic dataset
See the create a mosaic dataset tutorial

If using ArcGIS 10.1
Learn how to publish an image service to ArcGIS Server
Learn about serving raster and image data

The toolbar you're seeing to create the MSD means you are publishing a map service that contains the image.
Learn about the types of services
0 Kudos