Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS beginner - need direction

09-06-2011 11:59 PM
propweb
Emerging Contributor
I'd like to build an online application which will display buildings facilities and access points. To start with I'd like to build a little prototype using arcViewer, so the elements dont need to be dynamic just yet. Can anyone explain the process to me taking into account the following:

Creating the map in arcViewer - I've done this, made up a few little test elements placed on individual layers and I can output that as a little interactive map no problems.

What I'd like to do now is progress that to making the map interactive. adding the ability to turn those layers on and off if needs be.

I've looked into this via the resource centre and the code is pretty straight forward:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jssamples_start.htm?ArcGISDynamicMapServiceL...

Where I stumble is at defining the "layer"  in  "ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer" from what I've gathered I may need ArcGIS Server in order to do this? I'm a little unsure here guys?

Is there a way for me to find the test map I created in ArcGIS Viewer and grab the "Layer link" so I can start controlling the visibility of those layers? If you could even point to me to a similiar thread that would be appreciated to.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
If you want to use a dynamic layer, then yes you need to publish the mxd to arcgis server.

You may also look into arcgis.com as alot of the functionality you want might be pre-built.
0 Kudos
propweb
Emerging Contributor
Is there anyway for me to export a custom map made in arcGIS viewer to a web application and then get in there and modify it further? Without the use of ArcGIS Server?

Is there a way to start manipulating layers via the javascript API without the need of ArcGIS server?

The javascript API samples and gallery web app samples are great but don't offer me what I need, I've created what i need to a fashion using the arcGIS Viewer online and was hoping i would be able to manipulate that further before going full pelt and picking up ArcGIS server and the mobile GIS extensions.

If thats the case, can anyone tell me what ArcGIS products I'll need to do the following:

- Create online web mapping apps, including intergrated way finding and layered elements
- Deliver those apps via mobile (multiple platforms)
- Spacial analysis, reporting and demonstrations (intergration with corporate facilities management applications, CAD drawings etc)

Is there any one package that can handle the above or would we need licenses for Server, desktop and Mobile?

Thanks
0 Kudos