REST And ArcGIS Schematics

04-12-2010 02:47 AM
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Dear REST API Team,

Maybe this is a old topic but I haven't found an answer.
Does the REST API exposes an ArcGIS Schematics Layer?

If so, is there anything I must have particular attention with when comparing to traditional layers?

Thanks advanced,

José Sousa
ESRI Portugal
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi José,

From version 10.0, a schematic layer is a composite layer containing standard feature layers (with layer definition queries allowing to see only the schematic objects of one particular diagram).
If you publish an mxd containing a schematic diagram, you can access the schematic sublayers with the same WEB API than standard feature layers.
So accessing ONE diagram is quite standard.

The point, that needs a particular attention, happens if you want to access many diagrams with the same map service.
In this case you have:
      1) to publish a map without any definition queries (it means that you will see all diagrams overlapping)
      2) to manage the definiton query with the web API

Dominique

Note that is only true from 10.0. With previous versions, the diagrams had to be exported in features before being published.
0 Kudos
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Hello Dominique,

Thanks a lot for your explanation and remarks.
I think I got the general idea. At this point, I think it might be better, given your explanation, to use several map services each one pointing to a specific Diagram.

Thanks again for your help,

José Sousa
ESRI Portugal
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
This just depends on your needs...  We have customers with 10,000 diagrams.  If they wanted them all served, it would not be wise to create 10,000 services most likely.  In this case, as Dominique mentioned, you would serve the schematic feature classes and give the user an ability to pick a diagram name from a list and then behind the scenes, you simply change the definition query on the schematic feature layers to point to a different diagram.
0 Kudos
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the information,

I am worried about the performance of the definition query when having so many diagrams.
In my case, I only have ONE single diagram so, for me, using a single service for a diagram is enough.

If I had 10000 diagrams you are definetely right. I should use in that case a definition query on just initialize the service on demand (open the MXD template by code and initialize a server connection).

Thanks a lot for your help,

José Sousa
0 Kudos
AbdulMateen
New Contributor
to view multiple diagram on single map, applying definition query is overlapping the diagrams.

what is the solution to avoid overlapping and display multiple diagram side by side.
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
You would need additional logic to ensure that no diagrams ever overlap.  They are essentially individual entities that don't know about each other at all.
0 Kudos