How would I use query and queryTask with an Oracle database (non-geodatabase)

07-06-2011 05:31 PM
AndrewTamberino
New Contributor
I'm writing a web app using ArcGIS API for Javascript and I need to query data from a standard Oracle (10g) database at the same time I'm querying my SDE.  I probably don't need to add that I'm new to esri development.
Is there a way, using the javascript API, to combine the query tasks and/or mashup the returned data into a map and infoWindow?
Is there a way to edit the infoWindow data and have it write back to the two databases?
I found that I can publish a query layer in ArcMAP and interact with that using my javascript, but that isn't allowing my users the ability to dynamically craft queries on the fly.

Thank you for reading my post.  Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Any data you access via the JS API needs to be exposed via a web service. This can be a map service, feature service, etc. The tools provided by the API (queryTask, feature layers) make this easy. If you just need to hit a REST endpoint, you can use esri.request().

For editing, you can use feature layers.
0 Kudos
AndrewTamberino
New Contributor
Derek,
If I understand you correctly there's not really a way to do what I want in the Javascript API.  I was coming to that conclusion myself, but I was hoping that I'd missed something.
Thank you for responding. 
Regards,
Andrew
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Right, the JS API (and the other Web APIs, Flex and Silverlight) cannot talk directly to an Oracle database.
0 Kudos