Python and Visual Studio Express

06-30-2011 09:46 AM
JoePartlow
New Contributor III
I would like to build some some interfaces into ArcInfo to do some raster/grid analsis, loading .lyr files, etc.  I have previously used VBA and ArcObjects.  But would like to try either 9.3 arcscripting and/or 10 ArcPy.  After reading the "Recycling VBA - Converting existing projects to ArcGIS Add-ins" - Spring 2011 ArcUser - the following questions remain.  Any clarification is appreciated...

1) Is it possible to code up forms in Visual Studio Express that could call custom *.py (ArcPy and/or arcgisscripting) python scripts?

2) Given that I will be using ArcGIS 10.x is Visual Studio Express 2008 or Visual Studio Express 2010 more recommened in terms of compatibilty and/or functionality.

3) Any other general advice on coding more course grained objects with a fairly rich GUI as easily as possible.

Thanks in advance
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JasonScheirer
Occasional Contributor III
In .Net or C++?

1. Yes. Either using a system call to a .py file, or more easily, setting up the .py file as a script tool and executing it through the Geoprocessing framework. You can also open the geoprocessing tool dialog with the GPToolCommandHelper class.
2. I'd recommend 2008, though 2010 should be OK for .Net development.
3. Not off the top of my head.
0 Kudos