FREEHAND_POLYGON Tool 'Object Error'

04-25-2011 10:21 AM
RyanKelley
New Contributor II
I have an app in the JS API that uses the (esri.toolbars.Draw.FREEHAND_POLYGON) tool for a user to be able to pass the extent into a python script, which then generates a map. The script just finds the x,y's of the bounding box. The error pops up as soon as the job executes using a Make Map button.  The error is "Windows Explorer, Object Error".

It is extremely hard to troubleshoot this because it only happens once in a while. More so for certain users... for me hardly ever, but it does happen.  With the tool, I am able to make something as easy as a simple box or a crazy looking polygon. It doesn't seem to matter what the poly looks like for the error to occur.

So, is this a .js version error in our browser?

Also, I am using "http://serverapi.arcgisonline.com/jsapi/arcgis/?v=2.2"

Any ideas? Thanks!!!!

Ryan Kelley
Portland, OR
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThaoLe
by
New Contributor III
You will have to narrow down possible causes of the problem.

Does it happen during high usage?
Are all the users using the same browser?
Does the problem occur right when you finish drawing the polygon or does it happen after you send the polygon to the python script? (is this really a GPTool that you passing the polygon to?)

I don't think the issue is with the coding since the problem happens intermittently. I would take a look at all the different system configuration that the users have. If you are using a GPTool, then see if you can reproduce the problem using the GPTool alone in ArcMap.

I hope this helps!
0 Kudos
RyanKelley
New Contributor II
Thanks for the input... the error occurs before anything is passed to the .py script. I think there's a possible disconnection between sending info from the .js API URL to our ArcServer, and this creates the error. I get a 404 error when I am able to reproduce this... so, there is at least one missing file somewhere. I am working on writing something that doesn't kill the job, but tries again a second after the error occurs. This seems to be working at this point.

Ryan
0 Kudos
RyanKelley
New Contributor II
I had our SA set up an internet proxy on the server we are running our web app.  A lot of the sample code from the .js API ESRI pages have a generic URL that points to a non-existent proxy and I didn't catch that.

esri.config.defaults.io.proxyUrl = "http://..../proxy.ashx"

ryan
portland, or
0 Kudos