Convert grid to dbf (in XYZ format)

04-24-2011 06:51 PM
GerardLee
New Contributor
anyone help pls. pls also note that i do not know python and command line scripts. ( i am just starting reading on python though.

i tried using Spatial Analyst > Extraction > Sample tool to do above ,but failed.

what i did was to input my raster in  both the INPUT RASTER and INPUT LOCATION RASTER OR POINT FEATURES, and output table as default.

after running this, it was deemed successful but i cant find this file anywhere. tired clipping to a much smaller area as i thought size might be a issue, but to no avail.

i then tried using EXTRACT VALUES TO POINTS,  as i thought i can covert this results to a XYZ format later. but i am totally confused what i should do with INPUT POINT FEATURES. what is the purposes of this parameter and what field / attribute table should this look like , considering i need XYZ format as a final product?

any help or pointing me to any helpful website is much appreciated. thanks ppl for reading.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DennisJongsomjit
New Contributor II
Hi,

A couple things to check.  The Sample Tool produces an ArcInfo table which Windows usually does not list.  Are you looking for the table using ArcCatalog?  If you find the table you can convert it to a dbf using Table to dBase.

Also make sure your extents are set correctly in your environment settings.

Another way to do this is to use the Raster To Point conversion tool.  This will create a point shapefile with a point at each grid cell center that has data associated with it.  This shapefile will have a dbf table associated with it.  You can then add new fields to the table and have Arc calculate the X and Y values for you.
0 Kudos
GerardLee
New Contributor
Thanks DJ.

I just realized that SAMPLE only works when the feature class is in fgdb. so everything is fine now.

Thank you
0 Kudos