Maintain GIS attributes in AutoCAD when copying items from one file to another file.

Jump to solution
08-24-2020 02:40 PM
AnnUlliman
New Contributor II

I have polygons and points in a drawing file that contain GIS attributes.  I would like to move those polygons to another drawing file, retaining all the attribute data.  What is the best method for accomplishing this?  I have tried ctrl+c, copybase and wblocking.  After wblocking and inserting the block into another file (after importing schema so the feature layer is already defined), I have polygons that contain attributes but the data that went with each polygon in the original drawing did not carry over.  Is there a way to copy polygons or points from one drawing to another and maintain the attribute data for each polygon? Thanks.

AutoCAD 2020, ArcGIS for AutoCAD add-on ver 400, Windows 10

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Ah you are right, that was my fault. It seems that wblock is dropping the attributes. 
The try this, instead of wblocking the features, make a copy of the original drawing delete out everything you don't want  and then insert that drawing into the new drawing after you import schema. This method is working for me. 

On another note, we are going to look into making this workflow easier in the next release of ArcGIS for AutoCAD, assuming we can workaround the AutoCAD limitations. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Hi, you are one the right track. I just tested this on version 400 of ArcGIS for AutoCAD and I was able to get it to work by doing the following. 

1. in the original drawing, wblock the polygons you want. 

2. in the new drawing, import schema.

3. insert the wblock-ed drawing the new drawing

4. select the inserted polygons

5. use the "explode" command to remove them from a block

Let me know if that works. It seems like you did everything but "explode" the inserted polygons, once you do that you should see the attribute data

0 Kudos
AnnUlliman
New Contributor II

Thank you for your response.  I followed your directions.  I still have the same problem.  The original drawing polylines have information included in the Links, Name, Permit areas.  The new drawing does not.  The first image is the original drawing. The second is the new drawing.  I would like the data in the Links, Name & Permit areas to exist in the new drawing exactly as it was in the original drawing.

Existing

New

0 Kudos
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Ah you are right, that was my fault. It seems that wblock is dropping the attributes. 
The try this, instead of wblocking the features, make a copy of the original drawing delete out everything you don't want  and then insert that drawing into the new drawing after you import schema. This method is working for me. 

On another note, we are going to look into making this workflow easier in the next release of ArcGIS for AutoCAD, assuming we can workaround the AutoCAD limitations. 

AnnUlliman
New Contributor II

It worked!  Excellent. Thanks.  Ann

0 Kudos