Trying to clone Python environment in ArcGIS Pro 2.6

07-30-2020 12:17 PM
EvanAird
New Contributor II

I have been unable to clone the default Python environment in ArcGIS Pro.

can

How do I install Conda so that running the following command will create the clone?

conda not recognized

18 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you click "Clone Default" or did you click "Clone" (over by "Remove").

If the former, try the latter

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
EvanAird
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan.  I tried the latter just now and got the same error message.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It wants the clone to go to your "user" profile

%LocalAppData%\Esri\conda\envs

Python Package Manager—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

And I assume you have admin rights of some level

Check your path and I would use a shorter name as a check (like 'clone26')

PS

a shut down, restart is also recommended

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
EvanAird
New Contributor II

I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting I try. After a restart, I shortened the name to clone1 and kept the path to my "user" profile. Were you saying to try writing the clone to the directory that the default Python environment is in? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Evan, check my latest link.

I never install Pro where it wants to go (eg c:\Programs.... etc) because the path is too long and it contains a space.

I completely remove all vestiges of Arc-Anything and do a clean install and reinstall just for getting a fresh install of everything.

I create a folder (eg c:\arc_pro ) and install there.

If I need to clone, I create the clone there (see my link)

In short... I never "update" to the "latest" version... potentially too messy... but I keep a record of everything I have done to facilitate recreating the base environment and if I have to clone it, I can

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't clone, other than for demos, but this might help as a process

/blogs/dan_patterson/2020/02/09/clone-arcgis-pro-25 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
EvanAird
New Contributor II

Thanks for this. I tried writing the clone to the directory that the default Python environment is in. I got an error message and nothing was written there (it didn't like the space in the directory name). Folders were created in my "user" profile for the clones that I tried to write there. I also created a new folder in C:\ for clones. A folder was created but an error was returned in Pro. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"an error" ... that would be the key to report.

If I were you... Windows, Add/Remove, Remove to uninstall 26 and clean up (eg rename folders related to esri in your Users folder, delete folders in c:\Programs etc after the uninstall)

... reinstall 2.6   (I download the *.exe, run it, keep the *.msi and *.cab file and install from the *.msi where I want it)

... try the clone again

but that is just me

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoelMcKechnie
New Contributor III

I'm also having issues with cloning after installing ArcGIS Pro 2.6.

The cloning starts, then I get Windows error messages saying "Python has stopped working" over and over again. I assume this is python failing to install each package. I then Ctrl Alt Del ArcGIS Pro.

I've got Pro installed entirely on a partition separate to C drive, tried the uninstall > purg "Arc*" and "Esri*" > reinstall method 🙂 . I have admin privileges.

I don't have the installation for 2.6 (install 2.5 then update through that). Maybe that's the issue? Will try that when I get access from our org admin.

0 Kudos