Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Action Beta: Potential Labeling Bug

Jump to solution
07-22-2020 02:55 PM
MeganEngel
Occasional Contributor II

First, I really like the Map action feature in the StoryMaps, as it provides a great end-user option if they want more information.

In a current story map build, I have been encountering what I think is a bug, where I have 1 map, in a sidecar, and several map actions.  The map actions work great, and as they're set up with layers turning on and off as intended.  However, several of my layers have labels in them, that once the another map action button is selected, the labels are retained from the previous map action, while the layers are not visible (as intended).

Likewise, those same features that retain the labeling, are retained in the map legend, just without a symbol showing.

I would like to know if any other users have been encountering this, and if so, how did you resolve this issue or what was your work around did you find that would work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

A fix for this issue was deployed in the Oct 26 release. Please let us know if you are still seeing issues.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

14 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Megan -- Thanks for reporting this issue. Can you share your story and or your map so we can take a look?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for providing the links. Wow, there are a lot of layers in that map. 🙂 Could you point me to the specific layers that are exhibiting the labeling problem?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MeganEngel
Occasional Contributor II

I could have specified, my bad!  I was working with the StoryMap project to have just 1 web map to work with instead of multiple web maps. 

The layers with labeling issues:

1. Wetland Mitigation Area (and the other wetland layers separated by type)
  2. Vegetation Plots (Both Fixed and Random)
  3. Cross Sections
  4. Ground Water Well

The appearance in the legend for those layer, in addition the ones turned off in previous map action still appear.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also having the legend issue as well.

ArcGIS StoryMaps 

This is taking place in the Land-use Change section. The first map in the sidecar is displayed correctly and the legend reflects what is shown. However, the second map (Land Use) is displayed correctly but the legend still shows items from the first map with their corresponding symbols blank. The legend should only show land use.

This map was built in map viewer beta.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

*** UPDATE ***

I am also having another similar issue using slideshow.

ArcGIS StoryMaps 

In the Sawtimber Volume and Quality section I have a slideshow of two maps. The first map, Hardwood volume in grade 1, is displayed correctly and the legend is correct. The second map, Softwood volume in grade 1, is displayed correctly but items from the first map are being displayed in the legend. My popup is also only displaying data from my hardwoods map. It should be displaying softwoods.

When I am in adjust web map appearance it is set up properly. This was also built using web map viewer beta.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has this been addressed or is there a plan? I'm running into this problem with legends in another story map.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So here is what I am seeing. It appears that the bug happens when selecting every other map action. Meaning when,

1. Scroll to first map, the legend looks fine.
  2. Select a map action and the bug will show the previous map's items in the legend AND it will show the previous map's pop-up.
  3. Select next map action, legend looks fine.
  4. Select next map action OR simply turning off the current map action and the bug will be applied.

NOTE: The bug will apply to the first map as well. Like I said, it is every other change in the map.

Watch the video and you will see what I am talking about.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry for the delayed reply. We are looking into this one but don't have any more information to share at this time.

Owen Evans