Web App Builder vs Web App Builder (Developer Edition)

07-21-2020 10:29 AM
Maps-Berlin
New Contributor III

Hello everybody,

I was wondering what the main differences between the online Web App Builder and the developer edition are. 

This tutorial makes it seem that the main difference is that it is possible to download your developer edition web app and modify its source code, but I was able to download my web app created online with no problems. I am wondering if this video is out of date or I am missing something else.

At this point, are there any advantages of using the developer edition over the regular web app builder?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

One major difference is that you can add your own widgets or widgets shared by the community. 

This list is out of date but gives you an idea of the widgets out there. 

/blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2017/03/04/web-appbuilder-the-custom-widgets-list-332017 

0 Kudos
Maps-Berlin
New Contributor III

Hey, thank you very much. One follow up question though: If I can download my app that I created with the regular app builder, should I not also be able to customize my widgets there? As I understand widgets are customized by manually changing code of the files in the widget folder.

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes you can but you cannot add the custom widgets before. It is a lot easier to add custom widgets and customize them in the Developer edition. 

If you want to just customize out of the box widgets then AGOL web appbuilder is the way to go. 

0 Kudos