Update Survey123 form data from another source

07-02-2020 06:36 AM
MikeDeBoer
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am looking for a way to auto populate form drop down answers.  We are using Survey123 for a work order application and new jobs are being added daily.  My current workflow is to get the job list sent to me, then batch edit the populated answers.   

I am looking for a way to have Survey123 reach out to a shared excel sheet or SQL endpoint to auto update and republish. 

Thanks, 

MD

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

> I am looking for a way to auto populate form drop down answers.

Please take a look at the pulldata() function, this might meet your needs

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
MikeDeBoer
New Contributor II

Derrick,

Thanks for the quick response.  That is a good function, but can I use to pulldata function to only update the dropdown list?  I am pretty sure this will only work when you select something in the survey (ie select name > auto populate address).  What I need is for the pull data to update the list from a CSV (see below):

I might be missing something with this workflow and it is probably an easy fix.  Follow up functionality would be a way to auto republish a survey when the auto populate csv is updated (different conversation though).

Thanks,

Mike DeBoer

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

I am sharing this thread with the Survey123 forum so other folks on the Dev team can assist with your questions.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

I would consider a new workflow that doesn't involve editing the dropdown values, i.e. coded value domain.

Each time the dropdown values are edited, you have to re-publish the survey so others can view your form changes. Likewise, others then have to refresh the survey form in the s123 app. Seems clunky to me.

Some options off the top of my head:

--Put all possible values that will ever exist in the dropdown, then filter the results

--Change the select_one question to a text box. Maybe after they enter the project name once at the top of the form it auto-populates other entries below, limiting entry mistakes.

MikeDeBoer
New Contributor II

Dan,

Can you fill me in on what you mean by coded values?  It is possible to update coded values with a hosted feature service in Survey123?

Thanks, 
Mike D. 

0 Kudos
BE4
by
New Contributor II

Hey Mike,

This workflow is supported now. See links below. You may have to use python and set a scheduled script up to run and update your external csv. Hope it helps!

XLSForm essentials—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation

Update CSV item in ArcGIS | ArcGIS Survey123

0 Kudos