ArcGIS Pro 2.5: How to get the names of the outputs of geoprocessing tools in the model builder similar to physical names?

06-03-2020 01:02 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.5: How to get the names of the outputs of geoprocessing tools in the model builder similar to physical names?

For example, in the screenshot below, in ArcMap, the names of the outputs of geoprocessing tools in the model builder are similar to the physical names. In Pro, names are very confusing as names that appear in the green output are different from physical names.

How to get similar behavior as in ArcMap?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
11 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Add and connect data and tools, and modify elements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Renaming elements

The default names of tools and variables are automatically generated by ModelBuilder when you add the element. If the element name already exists in the model, it is appended with a unique number. To rename any model element to a unique name, right-click a model element and click Rename, type in a new name, and press Enter or click outside the rename box.

Changing the name of a variable does not affect the contents, dataset, or value of the variable. For example, a variable references the value C:\Data\Example.gdb\Roads. Renaming the variable from Roads to Streets does not change the dataset path, only the variable name.

There is lots more in that section

... sort of retired...
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

What I’m referring to here is that the behavior in Pro is different from that in ArcMap when it comes to the names of output of GP tools. In Pro, naming is very confusing! Names of the output does appear in three places and they are not identical:

- inside the green box

- In the Content pane

- In the Catolg!

What I need is to have the names that appear in green box, content, and catalog identical

How this can be performed?

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The name shows up as you pass your mouse over it as you show, did you make the output a parameter and define a name there? You can rename the ovals as I described

... sort of retired...
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I never touched the names neither the ones in the green box or the physical names in the catalog. All are created automatically by the model. There is no equivalency between the names that appear in green box, content and catalog.

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That is what the help says... they are created automatically so that there are no conflicts and that the name more-or-less fits in the oval

... sort of retired...
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Not sure how to explain this further but at the end of the day that behavior in Pro when it comes to naming the outputs (green box, table of content, , catalog) is different from what used to be in ArcMap. In Pro, names of outputs are confusing as they are not synchronized (green box, table of content, , catalog)

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The behaviour changed, I suspect because of the need to ensure the checks I indicated.

I suggested ways to find out what the paths are, but I suspect most people appreciate not having long paths wrapping around the oval.

The behaviour is the same in Beta

... sort of retired...
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

In this case we will never be able to know which is which. At least the name that appears in the green box should match the one that appears in the Catalog to avoid confusion.

What do you think?

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It think it is fine the way it is since I know how to get the name without it appearing all scrunched up in the green box.

... sort of retired...