View layer (join) does not preserve attachments

05-14-2020 02:08 PM
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

Hello all, 

This may not be an issue with the survey particularly, but noticed an issue from the feature layer created from Survey123 layers.

My main survey takes attachments along with other information, and have a related table to capture users availability in date format. I created a view layer by joining the  main feature layer from the survey and its related table in order to use the survey result in operational dashboard.

One thing I hoped to do was displaying attachment in popup windows by selecting 'Show feature attachments as links' in the popup config setting, but the view layer does not seem to have any attachment inherited, and there was no option available for  'Show feature attachments as links'.

This is the original survey data setting. The main feature layer has attachments enabled, but not the related table (no attachment questions attached in this table). 

In my join view layer, 'has attachments' is set to false, and I tried to update it to true using admin function, but it was not saved.

I had similar layers that are used in Collector - the main layer that has attachments, and its related table. When a view layer is created by joining these two layers, the attachments are preserved differently from what I observed with the survey data.

Has anyone experienced this before? any solutions?

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kerry,

Apologies for the delay.  How were the view layers created?  Via the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer Analysis functionality?  One thing you may want to do is look at the views' definitions via the Feature Layer Admin REST API (see Feature Layer—ArcGIS REST API | ArcGIS for Developers ); that might provide insight in how the attachments were specified for each.  This may be something you want to file an Esri Support ticket for to further diagnose.

0 Kudos
KerryKang

Hello James, 

Yes, I created the view layer by using 'Join' on AGO Map viewer.

The main feature layer's attachment is true, but the related table that I used for join has false for its attachment. Not sure what else I can check it, I will contact my local support. 

Thanks!

K

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson

Hi @KerryKang, were you able to find a workaround? I found this was submitted as a bug (https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDExODc2Ng==) marked as resolved & implemented, but I still am unable to see my attachments follow through to the AGOL Join/View Layer. 

Many suggest using Arcade to create a hyperlink, or export as a related dataset via Pro, but I am hoping for dynamic updates by using the View layer. I also want to avoid a hyperlink and instead show the attachments as attachments (pdfs, not images), for use in apps like the Attachment Viewer.

Documentation for View layers in general state this is an "Overview" setting... and while I do see the option for standard view layers, I do not for my AGOL generated Join view layer.

Standard View layer:

BrittanyBurson_2-1611169901081.png

Created via AGOL Join View layer:

BrittanyBurson_1-1611169878447.png

Thank you --

0 Kudos
AmyOdom
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue, only not with Survey data but with Crowdsource Polling data. I, too, created a view layer by joining my related table that is populated in my crowdsource polling application to the associated feature layer in order to more easily visualize the related data in Dashboard. None of the attachments (photos uploaded in the polling application) were retained using the Join Analysis tool in my webmap and createing the view layer there. I also don't have the option to show attachments. I'm wondering if this has been resolved yet or if anyone has discovered a work around. Thanks so much. My main goal is to share the data being collected in a dashboard and to show the image attachments in the popup configuration.

AnsonHui1
New Contributor

Have anyone found the solution to this issue? I have a point layer and a table with inspection results constantly updated by a Survey123 form (Relationship already defined). My goal is to create a view layer that shows the latest record with the attachments. I don't want to edit the points layer directly and would like to preserve each inspection records. Therefore this issue has been a huge problem, any suggestions would be really appreciated!

0 Kudos