Name of Job using a attribute from table

03-30-2011 06:46 AM
Keillados_Reis_Ribeiro
New Contributor
Hi people,

I have a grid and I want to create a job per feature from grid.
I would like to identify every job with a attribute from table of the grid.
Is it possible?

Thanks,
Keilla
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrianDemers
Esri Contributor
Hi Keilla,

There are a few things you can try.  The most out-of-the-box way is to use the "Advanced..." button on the "Create Job(s)" GUI in Workflow Manager.  From there, you can elect to create multiple jobs with AOIs that you define.  (See the screenshot below.)  In this case, you select the features to be used as job AOIs interactively in the GUI.

There's also a sample step provided with Workflow Manager called "CreateChildJobsAdvanced" (discussed briefly here).  It can create child jobs based on the AOI of a parent job and an intersecting feature class.  However, this would only work if you were creating these jobs from within a parent job.  Additionally, since it's only a sample, you would have to build and install it yourself.

Finally, there's a free utility on the Workflow Manager gallery that provides GP interfaces for certain WMX actions, including job creation.  You'd probably need to write a Python script to handle some of the AOI selection logic, but this could be another option.

Good luck!

Brian D.
0 Kudos
BrianDemers
Esri Contributor
I'm sorry, I completely misread your question.  Let me try that again:

You can definitely use tokens to control the job naming pattern, and you can manually edit the name during/after a job has been created, though that could obviously be tedious for a large number of jobs.

If you need to automate this, it may be possible to write a Python script that runs after the jobs have been created.  If it could determine which feature a job corresponds to, it could fetch the feature attributes and update the "JOB_NAME" field in the "JTX_JOBS" table appropriately for each job.  I don't think this will break anything, but it's definitely a bit of a hack, so it would be good to get some test time on this approach if you go this route.

I hope that helps...

Brian D.
0 Kudos
Keillados_Reis_Ribeiro
New Contributor
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your answer 🙂

I'll try it.

Keilla
0 Kudos
Keillados_Reis_Ribeiro
New Contributor
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the tip.
I edited manually jobname and while it serves me.
I had tried to use the token did not work very well.

Good job!

Keilla
0 Kudos