AnsweredAssumed Answered

Proper use of Unit and Unit Type in Point Address Role

Question asked by jborgion Champion on Apr 21, 2020
Latest reply on Apr 23, 2020 by jborgion

ArcGis Pro 2.5

I was into Create Locators pretty hot and heavy, but in my most recent position, I've not been dealing with locators.  What I am dealing with is deploying the ESRI  Data Management Solution; I'd like to have a schema for my address points that will be optimal when used with an Address Point Role locator.

The Solution has a field called Unit Type and provides a Domain with entries like APT, Unit etc.  It also has a field called Unit ID which presumably would hold a value like A,B or C; 101,102,103 etc. Here is a snapshot of some addresses I'm working with.  Unit_Designator is our current field for unit and I added UnitType for this test:

Using the Create Locator tool, I map the fields as shown above to in their respective roles.  However when I search for the address 3694 S BLAZING OAK DR Apt A, all it returns is 3694 S BLAZING OAK DR .  Out user base typically uses # in front of a unit number like this: 3694 S BLAZING OAK DR #A and at one time (an earlier version of Pro, 2.4.?) that worked.  I have never used the unit type field before today.

I must be missing something here as I cannot resolve for a sub unit with an address point role locator.  What is considered best practice for an address point schema to support new style locators?

Shana Britt

Brad Niemand

Eric Anderson

Outcomes