Line feature split results in "hidden" extra feature at split

01-06-2020 02:27 PM
AdamG
by
New Contributor II

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue when splitting line features.  In my file I have a line (in red below) that is split by another vertical line (in black).  The split results in two extra features that are not visible until zooming in at a micro scale (1:0) and then I can "see" these features, but can not interact with them.  

Unfortunately I can not post samples of the data online because of organizational policies, but has anyone else experienced this issue that can offer an explanation?  I believe it to be a result of mismatched XY resolution and tolerance between the features to be split, and the features used for splitting.  The second screenshot shows the "hidden" features when zoomed in.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To see if the piece exists, and isn't a temporary artifact after the split process you could...

• save the file and make a copy... perhaps reboot just for luck
  • if it is still there... continue on, if not... a good save and reboot solves much
  • run MultipartToSinglepart tool run on the copy of that
  • Add a field to calculate length into (Geometry Attributes or similar).
  • Sort that field by increasing length and check to see if it exists within the shortest segments (you don't indicate how far you had to zoom in)

Is it still there?

0 Kudos