How to disable the arcGIS popup when i run a script

Jump to solution
12-26-2019 05:45 AM
RickHawkins
New Contributor II

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. Let me you if it is not.

Right now when i start my python script file i get a popup window that says "This tool has no parameters". I then click ok and my script will then run. Is there a way to disable this popup window so that my program will run right away?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given:

I do not have much experience in creating python scripts and then running them. in fact hardly any at all. 

I think the answer to your question is, there is no simple way (I can't remember if there is even a difficult way) to disable the popup you are seeing.  The popup you are seeing is a fundamental part of the architecture of script tools.  Even when there are no parameters for a script tool, the popup is there to provide a user with a description of the tool and help information to help the user with the tool.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you attach the script to a tool in toolbox?

Where are you running the script? (separate python IDE?)

0 Kudos
RickHawkins
New Contributor II

Dan, I did attach the script in a toolbox

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then the popup appears, if memory serves.  

There is probably no point in attaching it to a toolbox, unless you want to make the parameters for the tool defined/exposed. 

You can set defaults for the parameters to at least give users a view of what the parameters are before they run it. 

If this is for a scheduled task, then the script doesn't need to be attached at all

RickHawkins
New Contributor II

Dan,

I do not have much experience in creating python scripts and then running them. in fact hardly any at all.  I have 2 questions. How would the user start the script without it being attached to a toolbox. Second if i did do the script how do you modify the popup screen to shows the parameters.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rick

Adding a script tool—Geoprocessing and Python | ArcGIS Desktop 

Start there and work your way down from there in the help topic.

Stick with "Script tools in a Custom Toolbox", it gives you a visual approach to assigning parameters etc.  Python toolboxes and Custom toolboxes

They are compared here

Comparing custom and Python toolboxes—Geoprocessing and Python | ArcGIS Desktop 

but take some of comments on 'custom' toolboxes with a grain of salt , especially (3) The source code maintained in a separate file for each tool, usually as a Python script (.py).... I have 11 tools running from 1 script and I don't need to uses classes to get them to run.

The wizard-ish thing is pretty straightforward.  I wrote something simple along those lines some time ago

/blogs/dan_patterson/2016/05/19/toolbox-creation-in-arcgis-pro 

0 Kudos
RickHawkins
New Contributor II

Dan, All of the instructions look like they are for ArcGIS Pro. I am using ArcGIS Desktop so the screens and input values do not match. Not sure what to do since this is my first attempt at writing a python script.

Reading the instructions it looks like i can add all of my inputs to the popup screen. If that is correct where would i put the python script?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The dialogs are very similar if you can get on the right page in your help

0 Kudos
RickHawkins
New Contributor II

Dan,

I read through the documentation and have my popup screen showing my values. I need to work on another project and i do not want the popup window to appear. I looked in the documentation but did not find anything. Do you know how to do this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given:

I do not have much experience in creating python scripts and then running them. in fact hardly any at all. 

I think the answer to your question is, there is no simple way (I can't remember if there is even a difficult way) to disable the popup you are seeing.  The popup you are seeing is a fundamental part of the architecture of script tools.  Even when there are no parameters for a script tool, the popup is there to provide a user with a description of the tool and help information to help the user with the tool.

0 Kudos