Long-term preservation of StoryMap

11-21-2019 11:00 AM
AmyFerguson
New Contributor

Is there any way to save/store a StoryMap offline? Checking in to see if there are any updates on this topic. I support academics who are interested in creating StoryMaps, but have digital preservation requirements for their research publications, theses, or dissertations. 

5 Replies
ShaneMiles
Esri Contributor

Hey Amy,

In the story map application click on the share   button it then gives you an option to print, click this option.

Once in this viewer you can adjust the maps and applications to what you want to print, it will also contain all the text located on each tab of the story map. You are then able to save the output as PDF in the save to PDF option in your printing settings. This will allow you to save your PDF locally for your digital preservation requirements.

There is also the ability to copy story maps in full, from one environment to another through the ArcGIS online assistant. Hope this helped.  

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Where is the link button in the new StoryMap builder? I'm not finding it.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Please note that printing / creating a PDF is currently supported only in the Journal and Cascade classic storytelling templates, but we are planning to add it to the new ArcGIS StoryMaps in the first half of 2020.

Amy Ferguson‌ -- does the ability to create a PDF of a story satisfy the digital preservation requirements you mentioned? If not, could you please provide a little more detail about what formats are expected for the offline story?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
AmyNguyen
New Contributor II

I have a related question. I want to use  StoryMaps in court but am reluctant to try it - 1. courthouses are notorious for bad wifi signals, 2. the chain of custody issue - I can't have the material I present out there prior to testimony. Is there a way to run StoryMaps locally? 

sofoo
by
Occasional Contributor

We have the same issue with spotty wifi for presentations.

0 Kudos