Attribute Assistant Add-In toolbar error

Jump to solution
09-18-2019 01:13 PM
Labels (1)
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to download, install and open the Attribute Assistant Add-In.  I'm running ArcMap 10.4.1 in Windows 10 OS.

I follow the steps from https://solutions.arcgis.com/shared/help/attribute-assistant/ but I wind up with a toolbar that looks like this; see attached.

Has anyone seen this?  Does anyone know if there is a fix?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

In trying to repair a different app, I ran fsc /scannow from an Admin DOS prompt.  After my machine Restarted, attribute assistant toolbar was working correctly.  Don't know if the scan fixed it or not, but it's working now.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Attachment

0 Kudos
AndyShoemaker
Esri Contributor

Hi John,

This will sound silly, but try un-installing and then reinstalling a new download of the add-in. I've seen that workflow fix this error quite a few times. 

I've also seen changing level of security on your Add-In manager work. If you go to Customize > Add-In Manager and then go to the options tab, you can change the levels to "Load all Add-Ins without restrictions" . Restarting ArcMap will set the settings saved. 

If neither of those work, try changing the method you are using for installing the addin. You can change where ArcMap looks for Attribute Assistant by going to Customize > Add-In Manager and then going to the options tab. Here you can add the folder where you have the Attribute Assistant File (I suggest a place in documents so you don't lose it and it doesn't try to read your entire machine). Restarting ArcMap will once again save the settings. 

Andy

Andy Shoemaker
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Andrew Shoemaker‌ thanks for the suggestions.  I ran through all three suggestions, but still failed.  I experienced this same issue trying to install X-Ray.  Ultimately the error message in both cases says; "No GUI components found in this Add-In. Add-In version does not match."

0 Kudos
AndyShoemaker
Esri Contributor

Sorry that didn't quite work. There are still a few more things we can try that I was hoping to avoid since they require some resets. 

When Attribute Assistant installs, it generates a configuration file which tells the tool how to behave. If you navigate to 'C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\ArcGISSolutions\ConfigFiles' you should see a file named 'loaded.aa.config'. If you delete this file, ArcGIS will recreate a new copy on the next load of the program. I'd suggest rebooting your machine before the restart just to get everything cleared up. 

If that still doesn't work, you can do a soft reset of ArcMap. This will reset all of your toolbars and mxd preferences, so I suggest taking screen shots to make sure you remember what you have. If you navigate to 'C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Desktop10.6\ArcMap\Templates' you will find a file named 'Normal.mxt'. This is the template that ArcMap updates every time you save, open, or close the program. If you rename this to 'Normal_old.mxt', it will disconnect it from the program. When ArcMap is rebooted, it will recreate this file. Once again, I'd suggest a reboot between renaming and restarting ArcMap. 

Andy

Andy Shoemaker
0 Kudos
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Andrew Shoemaker‌ I can't navigate to 'C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\ArcGISSolutions\ConfigFiles'; I stop at the ArcGISSolutions folder - I do not have this folder. 

0 Kudos
AndyShoemaker
Esri Contributor

Hi John,

If you don't have the ConfigFiles folder, it sounds as if something isn't quite getting unpacked correctly. 

I suggest reaching out to Technical Support. They'll be able to help get everything working. 

Andy

Andy Shoemaker
0 Kudos
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

I was incorrect, I do have this folder however I have to manually type to it.  

Meanwhile, yes, I have reached out to the Tech Support.  We'll see what we can get done.  Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
John_RMellor__GISP
Occasional Contributor

In trying to repair a different app, I ran fsc /scannow from an Admin DOS prompt.  After my machine Restarted, attribute assistant toolbar was working correctly.  Don't know if the scan fixed it or not, but it's working now.

SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

Where can attribute assistant be downloaded? I'm not seeing a download button anywhere on the solutions page