previous version arcgis-python-api apidoc access

08-06-2019 09:48 PM
ShanonLoughton
Esri Contributor

Hi

1) Is there a way to access previous versions of api doc? I am using python across AGOL and ArcGIS Enterprise over a long time and the versions' feature differences are important to investigate.

As at writing https://esri.github.io/arcgis-python-api/apidoc/html/ is version 1.6.2. There is no way to look at 1.6.1 or 1.5.0 for example, or I do not know how to. And going by release notes is quite hard.

2) Also, is there or can there be a compatibility table somewhere that describes the versions across the two platforms:

i.e.

ArcGIS API for Python Version     |    AGOL    |     ArcGIS Enterprise

1.6.2                                      |    Jul 19    |     

1.6.1                                      |    Mar 19  |      10.7.1 (Apr 19)

1.6.0                                      |    Sep 18  |      10.7.0 (Dec 18)

1.5.3                                      |    Mar 18  |      10.6.1 (Jul 18)

1.5.2                                      |    Sep 17  |      10.6.0 (Apr 18)

^^^ I am guessing compatibility and dates in the above table, probably not accurate.

cheers

Shanon

ArcGIS Enterprise Admin Professional, AWS Solutions Architect Professional
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You will have limited success on this site, but you can try

GitHub - Esri/arcgis-python-api: Documentation and samples for ArcGIS API for Python 

It defaults to

Branch: master... click on the drop-down arrow and select Tag: and try the tags by version

0 Kudos
ShanonLoughton
Esri Contributor

Thanks, I did know about that, but as far as I am aware you cannot view api doc like in https://esri.github.io/arcgis-python-api/apidoc/html in that original git hub view.

I was hoping to avoid downloading it but its not actually that hard, obviously have git (or something related) first, then in command prompt:

C:...\> git clone https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-python-api.git

Cloning into 'arcgis-python-api'...
Receiving objects: 100% (10577/10577), 837.94 MiB | 3.49 MiB/s, done.
Checking out files: 100% (600/600), done.

Now browse to:
file:///C:.../arcgis-python-api/apidoc/index.html

As at writing online is 1.6.2 but default is still 1.6.1.

Then to change to a different version:

C:...\> cd arcgis-python-api

C:...\arcgis-python-api> git tag -l
v.1.4.2
v1.4.1
v1.5.0
v1.5.1
v1.5.2
v1.5.3
v1.6.0
v1.6.1
v1.6.2
v1.6.2-post1
v1.6.2-post2
v1.6.2-post3

C:...\arcgis-python-api> git checkout tags/v1.5.3

Checking out files: 100% (1186/1186), done.
Note: checking out 'tags/v1.5.3'.
HEAD is now at 2b2d324 Adding v1.5.3 API doc so we can tag v1.5.3 samples and guides

Browse again/refresh to:
file:///C:.../arcgis-python-api/apidoc/index.html

To compare side by side, copy the git repo folder, change directory to it, change/git checkout the tag you want, and browse to that folder's new local ...apidoc/index.html.

ArcGIS Enterprise Admin Professional, AWS Solutions Architect Professional