Map Series

07-29-2019 08:24 AM
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

It's me or Pro it's awkward to edit in map series.

Now I have two layouts, in a map series.  Each time I edit an annotation, the redraw doesn't return to the map series page I was working on.

Very time consuming to have to get out of my activated map frame to reactivate via navigate to page and going back to my layout, activate it and start again.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Marcel, 

I do not understand your workflow. 

A map series belongs to a layout. It is a one to one relationship. You cannot have two layouts that belong to the same map series. I do not know what you mean by "Now I have two layouts, in a map series."

"Each time I edit an annotation, the redraw doesn't return to the map series page I was working on."

I don't know what you expect here. If you're activating a map frame that is part of a map series to edit some annotation that is already visible on the map aren't you already on the map series page that annotation you just edited is visible on?

"Very time consuming to have to get out of my activated map frame to reactivate via navigate to page and going back to my layout, activate it and start again."

Is there a specific reason you are doing your annotation editing with the layout view and not in a map view?

Could you elaborate or provide some examples/screenshots of what you are currently doing and what you want to do?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Ok I will try do clear things up.

In arcmap, we have a layer with datadriven page unable to cleanup annotation for each page of our series.  

So, for example, we do a project with a view (map) with all the same data (layers). 

(In time it was easy with arcview 3 because the relationship of one dataset to many layout ; template in arcmap was painful but still one dataset and many template).0

Since a long time, with the end of templates, we had to change everything AGAIN can have as many mxd than layout needed (up to more than 100 in some projects).

With the introduction of datadriven pages, to improve annotation between pages, we generate annotation in datadriven pages.  Now, we make the first layout, generated the datadriven annotation and, frustratingly, we duplicate this mxd for all the layout we need then adjusting each layout accordingly to our need with the view referring to the datadriven page.  So, c1.mxd refer to the datadriven page 1, c2.mxd refer to datadreven page 2 and so on except where you have more than one view in one layout since the datadriven is stupidely links to the layout not the view.  There we datadriven one and not the second which makes duplicated annotation.

When opening an mxd, except some time where it's bugging, the c1.mxd stay link to the datadriven page 1 (page ID) and c2.mxd stay link to datadriven page 2 etc. for as many layout we have with the same dataset.  No question asks it's working fine except if you make a change in the dataset you have to open each mxd to correct it.

So now return in Pro.  Yes Pro return to the nice one dataset many layouts with a plus, datadriven page oups, map series.  So if we need to change something in the layers, only one project to open and correct not a lot (reducing the risk of error).

So, we start to parse small project from mxd to Pro to see if its good for production.  We have to wait for 2.4 since cartography tools were not there.  The export bug, the last stop to make useful Pro find a workaround with print via pdf creator waiting for a more straightforward Adobe solution.

So, like I describe in the beginning, in a 2 mxd projects, each one link the layout to the datadriven page it was save on.

In importing my two mxd, I just point to one Map and discard the second since it's the same dataset but two pages overlapping and with page ID defined in the field "carte".

The first thing I found is that, not like in mxd where the datadriven page stay link with the mxd, I have, each time I change my layout, have to manually go to the map series tab and redo navigate to.  It's not straifoward and very time consuming.  Why not make the layout referring to page 2 of the map series, like in mxd, stay on the extend of the series page it was made for.  I try to find a checkbox or other parameter to do so. (By the way, like I suggest in Idea, why not link map series in map not layout since you can have many maps in one layout.)

The most frustrating thing I found was in editing my annotations.  The first pass was made in map but, the finishing touch has to be made in layout for unplace or move some annotations hide by some layout element.  Then, in this case, it was a nightmare.  Doing this last cleanup can take about 1 hour or less by page but, in Pro, take more than a day.  Why, because, at each change, the redraw doesn't work.  I have to get out the activated map to return to layout and again, and again, and again make the page navigate to the good page in the series.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Marcel,

Thank you for taking the time to try to further clarify the issue.  However, to me at least, it still seems that there is some confusion about how .mxds and data driven pages (and layouts and map series) are related.  Originally you state that you have two layouts in a map series, which is where the confusion begins.  By definition, a map series is built from a single layout: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/layouts/map-series.htm

A map series is a collection of map pages (also known as map sheets) built from a single layout...

Given the specificity of the workflow you're describing, it would probably be most helpful to seek assistance from Technical Support.  I'd highly recommend utilizing a screenshare to fully illustrate the issue and hopefully move forward more quickly than through the forum.  

Cheers,

Kory

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Yes, I know that.  But the problem is that datadriven or now, map series are also made to have individual page annotations.  So, for good-looking purpose, you can need to unplace or move a lable in one page and not in the second.

Since you have no other way to do so (cleaneup) you have to do that by using datadriven or map series where each page only shows the annotations you want to be there.

I know the purpose of datadriven page (map series), is to have multiple pages view on one layout.  But, unfortunately, what we need is a link one view for many layouts or it will be easier to just use arcmap were you can link the mxd to one page of the datadriven page.  And be able to manage the annotations placement.

The screeshare whon't show more because the problem is that a layout I make doesn't stay on the page I activated like arcmap does.

0 Kudos