require field in one collector map but not another

07-23-2019 03:59 PM
JakeJacobs
Occasional Contributor III

I have a workflow where one user will collect a bit of information, then later someone else will come back and collect more information on the same point.  The inspection points are already existing. I would like to require certain fields of the first user and certain different fields of the second user.  Obviously setting a field to be required won't accomplish this, since the first user will be prevented from submitting an inspection if the second half requirements aren't done yet.

I'd like suggestions on how to accomplish this using Survey123 and/or Collector.

The reason I don't like using the Inbox in Survey123 to do the second set of edits is that the way the inspectors move around is map-centric and the inspectors need to see our facility layers as well as just a generic basemap.  I'd like them to be able to use offline Collector map caches.

The edits are quite simple, so they could be done in Collector if there was just a tiny bit of validation.  Is there a way to use Arcade expressions to populate a hidden required field with "Y" if all the other expected conditions are met, for example?

Or is this a use-case for related records - should I chop the data up into separate tables instead of storing it all in the same one. (The inspection program has been running on ArcGIS Mobile for Windows since 2011, we're just upgrading to the current app suite).

I can use the latest version of Collector for IOS and Survey123 for this project.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Erika,

Some thoughts I have would be incorporating conditional based questions. For example, field worker 1 goes out and in the the survey it asks 'Who is surveying' they will have the option to say A: Field worker 1 B: Field worker 2. Once they put in the specific field worker then it will populate the questions based on who is taking it.

Dynamic responses

I don't know of any way to incorporate conditional fields in ArcGIS Online and Collector, there is a blog about conditional field displays with Arcade and it might be what you are looking for.

Conditional Field display with Arcade in Pop Ups

However, I do think that this blog specifically addresses what your looking for which is to use views in ArcGIS Online, let me know if this addresses your question. 

Control access to data in Collector through feature layer views

Best,

Luba

0 Kudos
JakeJacobs
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Luba,

I do like the conditional based questions in Survey123 and that's why I'd love to use it. But unless something has changed recently, one can't open an existing survey response from Collector, one can only generate a new survey response from Collector.  So as the second person comes along in Collector to update the first person's response, there isn't a way to do that except by going through Survey123's Inbox.  If anyone has different information on that, I'm all ears.

I will look into feature layer views. I was under the impression that they controlled data access at a feature level, not an attribute level. So I could set a view where users could only update but not create features, which is not granular enough for me.  I can certainly hide fields users don't need to edit, but I would really like to be able to require fields that I do want them to edit, but separately for each view (let's say).

The same with the popups - I might be able to nudge a user toward filling out a non-required field by dynamically creating an expression in a popup, but ultimately I'd really like to force them to do it for data integrity reasons.  However, if that's not possible, this may well be my best choice.

Thanks for the links,

Jake

0 Kudos