Where is the ArcGIS Pre-Compiler Documentation?

07-08-2019 12:45 PM
MitchellWade
New Contributor III

I need to determine how ArcGIS populates the geoprocessing tools with error messages before it is ran. Does anyone know where the ArcGIS pre-compiler or pre-processor documentation is?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you provide an example showing the errors or behavior you are interested in?

MitchellWade
New Contributor III

Here is an example of the error:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

By any chance is it related to 

GitHub - Esri/geoprocessing-tools-for-hadoop: The Hadoop GP Toolbox provides tools to exchange featu... 

since the tool you listed isn't a standard tool and this repository is somewhat old.

The error is interesting since 'unicode' doesn't exist in python 3... everything is now a 'str'

type(u'a')
str

MitchellWade
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply, Dan. I am working with that toolbox, and I am able to get around the unicode error by setting uncidode = str. You are right that it is a Python 2 function. This is an old example of how the ERROR 000001 populates the geoprocessing tool.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your correction to get around the python 2 to 3 is the correct approach.

I can find no reference to ERROR 000001  on the support site or anywhere.  You might be advised to file a tech support request since it doesn't appear that many developers have viewed this question, so it might languish.

MitchellWade
New Contributor III

Thank you, Dan!

0 Kudos